Sunday, March 18, 2007

A "Fat Quarter Frenzy" experience that only *I* could have

A few weeks ago, my local quilt store had a sale on fat quarters. They were selling for $1 each. I thought this would be a perfect opportunity to pick up as many blues, greens, pinks and purples as I could find since it's time to make "Big Kid Quilts" for a few of my cousins' children who have outgrown their baby quilts. The shopping trip with my mom started out innocently enough. There were plenty of fat quarters to be had.

I started amassing my choices and they began to out-grow the space I had in my arms so it was time to step off to the side and start sorting. I picked a spot that seemed to be "off the beaten path," or so I thought, and began stacking my fat quarters by color so I could count them up and see what else I needed. Out of the corner of my eye I noticed a woman starting to circle. She approached me and without saying a word and started rifling through my stacks. I was bewildered. Now, this is one of my favorite quilt stores, it's the last place that I want to cause a scene in. So I simply told her that I was buying them; just stopping to count them up. She said not a word and walked away. A few moments pass (Yes, I had so many that it did take me a while) and here she comes again. This time grabbing a handful and starts to turn away. I Can't Believe This Is Happening! A second time I say, "Really, I am buying all of these." She gives me a dirty look - I swear she actually stomped away.

My mom comes over with her pile to ask what that was all about. I tell her and she laughs. She agrees to watch my stacks while I go off for more. The lady starts to circle a third time. This time obviously puzzled that someone else is standing with those fat quarters. I can't help but notice the fact that there are still many, many fat quarters available even in the same colors and prints that are already in my stack. Laughing to myself I go back over to my mom...the lady is Still circling. She comes closer like she's about to dive in. Frantically I'm putting the piles into my arms. She approaches. I say, "I think I'm just going to pick these up and move over to the floor so that I don't confuse you any further." The look on her face was priceless.

Now ready to check out with my mom following behind. I say to her, "I think this woman is taking the "frenzy" part of Fat Quarter Frenzy a little too seriously!" I quickly purchase my 60 fat quarters and leave the store without further incident.

I've never seen anything like that before...especially in a nice quilt store. Not even at a big box fabric store on the day after Thanksgiving have I seen anything like this. Maybe she's spent a few years too many waiting with her husband in the Best Buy line at the day after Thanksgiving sales or something because us quilters, we're typically really nice people!

Comments:
Friday, March 23, 2007 - So Funny!
Posted by mamanance (24.125.243.7)
What a story - I was laughing out loud before I finished reading it! Thanks for sharing. And how nice that your mom is close enough to shop with you - and clearly understands about buying FQ's, etc!

Friday, March 23, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by 51050 (24.176.0.71)
and who said quilting was boring!! Rhoda

Friday, March 23, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by scissorhandscps (68.72.14.230)
That is just too funny. Now every time you go to use those fat quarters you will have to smile with that memory in mind.

Saturday, March 24, 2007 - SO FUNNY
Posted by ninepatchrose (71.195.93.163)
What a story! That is so funny, i was laughing too by the time I was done. Maybe she was a coming a little unravled in the mind, (spoken in kindness), if you know what I mean. Well, glad you got your fq's home safe and sound.

Saturday, March 24, 2007 - Frenzy
Posted by Anonymous (12.218.236.179)
LOL! That is a great story! I can just see that happening. Sue P-J

No comments: