Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Paper Piecing - My newest addiction

Years ago my friend Gale tried to teach me how to paper piece and I just didn't get it. Over the years I've become intrigued by paper piecing...finally enough to ask for a Carol Doak book called "50 Fabulous Paper Pieced Stars" this year for Christmas. I flipped through the book until the beginning of March when I decided enough was enough, I was taking a class. I signed up at The Patched Works and our class project was a Pineapple Block coaster.


Finally I felt ready to give one of Carol's blocks a try. I needed two blocks for a Breast Cancer Donation quilt so I pulled out my pinks and started to choose. Little did I know, the first block I wanted to make; the South Carolina Star was 120 pieces. I worked my way through South Carolina and Ohio and really enjoyed the process. I LOVE the precision. Never in a million years did I think I could make quilt blocks as intricate as these.
I've now joined Carol Doak's Yahoo Group. It's a nice group. I hope to become involved in some of their challenges, swaps and mystery quilts sometime soon!


Comments:

Friday, March 23, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by orchidlover (90.196.228.158)
Hi I'm a member of Carol's group aswell. I'm doing the Mystery quilt and am really enjoying it love and hugs gina xx


Friday, March 23, 2007 - Welcome!
Posted by mamanance (24.125.243.7)
Welcome to the blog Jen. I just joined Carol Doak's group too and have ordered the Foundation Factory - and have spent way too much time browsing that website and looking at all the photos and pattern files! I can't see the pictures you posted - have others had the same problem?

Friday, March 23, 2007 - Pictures
Posted by Cre8tiveQuilter (69.216.24.194)
Thank you for the heads up on my missing pictures. Turns out I was using the wrong URL link.

Friday, March 23, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by Vera (68.99.125.138)
Hi and welcome. I viewed your quilt album. You really have done a lot of very nice quilts. I love the pillow cases, I need to make some of those.

Friday, March 23, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by scissorhandscps (68.72.14.230)
Have one of Carole's books and have used her paper. I do love to paper piece and that group sounds great, but if I join one more thing they'll hual me off to the funny farm! LOL

No comments: