Thursday, March 22, 2007

Pillow Cases for US Troops

I learned how to make Pillow Cases last summer. At first I thought they were kind of dumb but then I really got into them. It's fun to have holiday and special interest pillow cases. I will never sleep with matched pillow cases on my bed again. Especially nice when it's fabric with quilt blocks on it!! My friend Ruth found an article in our local paper telling about the Franklin Public Library and its Troop Care Package Program. They work off of the Books For Soldiers list sending care packages to our overseas US Soldiers containing: A homemade pillow case, book, DVD, homemade cards for writing home, various snacks and sundries. I wanted to make a few pillow cases and so far, a few has turned into 145. I went through my entire fabric stash and used everything that I didn't foresee using in the near future. You know all those pieces of fabric that although they are lovely because we wouldn't exactly buy crap, just are never going to make it into quilts. Sometimes it's just better to part with fabric like that, to free yourself of the "well, I could make this using xyz, but I don't really like it anymore." It's the nature of the beast, we're always planning for 4 or more projects down the road.


So, free yourself of your stash! Sew it up for a charitable organization or donate a few pieces for someone else to sew. 1 Yard of fabric is all it takes for a pillow case. That one yard could really brighten someone's day!

Comments:
Friday, March 23, 2007 - Great idea
Posted by MommaM (76.5.227.247)
I think I could do that! Pillow cases are so expensive. My kids like to sleep with several pillows too. I have been cutting off the tail of sheets that are worn in the middle. Have made them pillow cases from their old favorite sheets. I love the thought of using some of this great fabric that I am not getting around to making into anything. Our middle son has been home from Iraq less than a year. He would have LOVED a fresh clean pillowcase. But-not something he asked for. I just didn't think of it either. What a special project!

Friday, March 23, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by scissorhandscps (68.72.14.230)
That is really a good idea. I may mention it at my quilt group and maybe will make them for our bazaar in Nov.

Saturday, March 24, 2007 - pillow cases
Posted by Anonymous (12.218.236.179)
I would love to learn how to make those gorgeou pillow cases. I found your blog through Carol Doak's Group (the link was in your signature) and decided to investigate. I am glad I did! Sue P-J

No comments: