Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Projects...I have HOW MANY going?

I have so many of them that I actually seem to be in a bit of a quilting slump this week. I run into these once in a while, so four days of slump is really nothing to be alarmed about. On Monday I met with the Angel Quilters, a group of quilters that meets at Homespun Creations on the Third Monday night of the month from 6-8:30pm to work on quilts for Project Linus. I had good intentions of unpacking my machine on Monday night when I got home and next thing I know, it's Friday and my machine is still packed up.

When I first started quilting I used to be able to buy fabric for one project, and complete it in its entirety. I thought it was great to have no fabric stash. Then I started accumulating a stash, but was still able to finish the projects that I had started and usually only had one project going at once. In my current phase I thinned my stash, but I have a ridiculous amount of projects going and not getting finished. It felt so good to thin my stash. I made Pillow Cases for Soldiers, Quilts for Project Linus and then all the smaller pieces - if I could get a 2.5" strip out of them I cut them and then rolled them into "coins" for my monthly game of Strip Poker at Patched Works (the first Wednesday of every month).

Now, let's talk about my insane amount of projects:

Always ongoing:
-15 pillow cases a month for Soldiers 4-5 split rail fence quilt tops per month
-Wendy Reives Block of the month (2nd Friday of each month)
-Moda-U Block of the month at Bits N Pieces (3rd Saturday of each month)

Things I'm actively working on or want to be actively working on:
-Quilting with Laura Sampler Paper piecing blocks that I'm dying to try...if only I had the right fabric stash to work on them. Sigh...no stash to dig through.

Things that I'd like to work on:
-A 35 block "Turning Twenty Again" quilt in Moda Chocolat Fabric. The blocks are done, but the top needs to be assembled.
-Moda Chocolat Hexagon Cheater Panel that I added quite a few borders to. It needs to be basted and quilted.
-Blue and Yellow Pineapple Quilt. It's half basted and then needs to be quilted. It's currently stuffed into a pillow case.

Things that are just sitting there:
-Sunflower Dresden Plate Quilt. Needs to be basted and quilted.
-A 9 patch in colors that I would have never purchased on my own but fell in love with the striped border in a kit. Needs to be basted and quilted.
-A Harvest Spice block of the month. The top is together, the border isn't on yet. I really don't like the quilt but I feel obligated to finish it because it was so bloody expensive. Its queen size and I have no idea what I'll ever do with it. It's just not my style.
-Christmas stocking panels from an art to Heart collection
-Turkey wall hanging for the front door

And then there's the quilts that I have fabric purchased for but not started yet:
-Egg Money Quilt in 30's reproduction fabrics
-Pink and Purple Quilt for my 2nd cousin Alli
-Blue Quilt for my 2nd cousin Jacob for at his mom's house
-Green Quilt for my 2nd cousin Zach for at his mom's house
-Quilt for Jacob at his dad's house - colors to be determined
-Quilt for Zack at his dad's house - colors to be determined
-Reindeer Quilt from an Art to Heart Book

Wow...the sad part is, I'm sure I'm missing a few things! Please tell me that someone out there has as many projects going as I do!! I feel dizzy!!!

P.S. As my friend Diane reminded me, the memory bears. They fall into the category of afraid to cut the fabric. I'm making bears for her and her daughters and my cousins' 2 daughters.

Comments:
Friday, March 23, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by scissorhandscps (68.72.14.230)
Oh yeah!!!! I can relate. Posted awhile back that I had so many projects going that I'd rather sit down and watch two back to back scary movies then write down all my ufos. LOL

Friday, March 23, 2007 - Oh my....
Posted by MommaM (76.5.227.247)
As I read this amazing list, I immediately see ideas for quilts that I would like to make! I do have way too many things started as well. But I am going to make some pillow cases for sure... All good as long as it's fun, right?

Saturday, March 24, 2007 - Yep, I'm right there with you
Posted by ninepatchrose (71.195.93.163)
So many quilts, so much fabric and so little time! As I was browsing at the quilt shops this past week after the quilt show, I thought to myself "I should be home sewing and quilting what I have" not looking for more.But I did by more. Here's my list if it helps at all. although it's not quite as longas yours , sorry..... finish the baby log cabin on my frame lap friendship star that needs basted and quilted Musgrave reunion lap quilt that has to be basted and quilted before the end of June Finish Blocks for Moms of the Bible - four to go and then get that one arranged, sashed and quilted. Use up the 24 quilt blocks I received in a swap a couple of years ago. Make the 2 quilts i just bought fabric for Make up the fishing motif wall hanging and pillows for one of my dh's friends. Sew a robe that I have been asked (and willbe paid to do) Make a skirt, jumper and dress I just bought fabric for Finish binding my picnic quilt before sumemr. See that's not so bad really. Finish up the piecing on the double wedding ring from class (two more weeks of class) then quilt it and bind it. WE CAN DO IT WE CAN DO IT WE CAN DO IT WE CAN DO IT

Saturday, March 24, 2007 - It's Diane...and you forgot one!
Posted by Anonymous (72.131.16.122)
Okay, it's not technically a quilt project exactly, but this will give you guys an idea of the kind of person Jen is. About five months ago my mom went into hospice care and one of the first people I told was Jen (we work together). Not even a couple hours later, she came to me with an idea that she remembered hearing about: making bears from the clothes of loved ones as a remembrance. She asked very tactfully if I and my two daughters might like something like this. I thought it was such a wonderful gesture, to have someone care and want to express her support by sewing a memento (I know a lot of people make quilts for this purpose too). I said yes, and Jen immediately contacted the local hospice and acquired the bear pattern. My mom passed away after over four months in hospice care. It was a long ordeal, but the week our family spent preparing for her memorial service brought us all closer together and brought back many great memories of Mom's life. After the service my daughters and I picked out some of Mom's precious, beautifully embroidered sweatshirts for our bears. So Jen's project list also includes sewing three Memory Bears! I can't believe how no matter how busy she is, she's always sewing gifts and donations for others. She's amazing! Diane

Saturday, March 24, 2007 - That's some list!
Posted by mamanance (24.125.243.7)
If I made a list of my projects it would be quite a bit shorter. I do go over it in my mind periodically - over 15 when I add them up, but that hasn't stopped me from coming up with others to do. Some are just a hint of an idea, and I doubt I'll get them all done in this lifetime - but my youngest daughter, who also does some quilting, already knows all my stash, etc is hers someday. And about stashes, I thought the idea was to grow it, not use it up!! If I use some from it I feel like I must immediately replace it with more ... much more! I am guessing that you don't hand-quilt these projects, since you probably do take time to eat and sleep once in awhile! Do you do your own machine quilting or send them out?

Saturday, March 24, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by orchidlover (90.196.228.17)
I'm too scared to write down a to do list. I don't think I'll ever clear my WIP box. I tend to finish my quilt tops but then they go in the queue for quilting. love and hugs gina xx

No comments: