Friday, March 23, 2007

Quilting With Laura Sampler

I've begun to work on this sampler by Linda Halpin. The directions are for hand piecing, since that's not happening in this lifetime I'm doing it the old fashioned way....by machine!! I was given this book for my birthday about 6 years ago by my friend Gale. She knows I've had a life long obsession with Laura Ingalls Wilder. I've read the books multiple times and I love the TV series. I'll even admit that I have all 9 seasons on DVD. I just can't get enough of her.

Why did I wait so long to start? I had quilters block, I needed to find right fabric. I just bought a Jelly Roll by Moda from the Bound to the Prairie II series. A Jelly Roll is 42 2-1/2" strips. It's one strip of each fabric in the collection. Since the sampler is relatively small, most of the blocks can be constructed from this size strip. I bought a few matching 1/2 yard pieces to add in for the larger sizes. I decided to start with the Log Cabin Blocks. Wow, they're tiny!!! They finish at 4 inches. I also completed the Flying Geese and a good amount of the half square triangles by using the leftovers from the flying geese connector squares.


Comments:
Saturday, March 24, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by scissorhandscps (68.72.14.230)
I love samplers. Someday I'd like to try one. Yours is turning out beautifully. Love the fabrics.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by lori (24.215.52.160)
Very nice , I also love the series of Laura Wilder I think its the love for simpler times ,hard work and family .Maybe that is why I love the Amish communities so much .

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by sunshine (69.34.151.157)
Nice work and I love the colors. I'm sure it means alot to you. I've always enjoyed her books and tv shows. Thanks for sharing this with us newbees.

No comments: