Sunday, March 25, 2007

Sunday Sew-A-Palooza

On Sunday I went to my mom's to sew. I began working on a Carol Doak mini wall hanging. I still need to paper piece the borders. Although the green fabric is cotton, it's a looser woven. I managed to put my seam ripper through the top of block 11. Since I've come so far, I'm just going to leave it. This is just meant to be a little spring wall hanging in my cubicle at work. It will be far enough away from anyone else’s eye that they won't notice my little hole unless I'm a dummy and point it out to them. I change my work wall hangings so often that it probably won't be up for very long anyway and done is better than sitting in a box never finished.


I've been using thin vellum for my paper piecing. It just seems to be so much bulk when I'm sewing the sections together. Is there any good way around this? Does anyone have any paper tips for me?

I'm DYING to get the rest of my Carol Doak goodies in the mail!!


Comments:
Monday, March 26, 2007 - Paper-piecing paper
Posted by mamanance (24.125.243.7)
Hey Jen, Saw your message on CDQG so zipped over here to see your posting. I just received today a 2nd order from Carol so I know have her 50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars and CD, her 300 Paper-Pieced Quilt Blocks and CD, and the Foundation Factory Designer ed. I also got a pacakge of her Foundation Paper and add a 1/8 " ruler - I already had the add a 1/4". I am so anxious to get started on something of hers, but am trying to finish up a quilt for my mom first. I have less than 1/2 of the last side to go on the last two borders, then cut binding, sew it together, and add it to the quilt - hand-quilting so maybe not as fast as machine, but I'll get it done soon! One of the first ones I want to try is the SC star you made. One of my sisters just moved to SC so I think it would make a nice gift for her. Nancy

Monday, March 26, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by Cre8tiveQuilter (72.128.107.47)
Nancy, I'm waiting for the 50 stars CD, the 300 blocks and I splurged on the 40 blocks w/ cd. I don't know if I'm quite ready for the add an 1/8...but it's a gadget, I'm sure I'll end up with it shortly. The South Carolina star wasn't too bad to put together. The only thing I can suggest is cutting your pieces, I was determined to try it with just 1-1/4" strips and they really got in the way! I sure learned my lesson.

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by scissorhandscps (68.72.14.230)
It is VERY beautiful. I probably wouldn't fix it either. I need to keep more of my stuff for me. I use Carol Doaks Paper for paper piecing and it works pretty good. I have heard of interfacing too.

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by lori (24.215.52.160)
I love your wall hanging ,The colors are soft .Carol's site is excellent ,I'm hoping for some free time to finish her mystery quilt .

No comments: