Sunday, April 8, 2007

I'm a Quilter, Not a Garment Sewer!!

I've been quilting since 1999. I've sewed my share of craft project and the occasional Halloween costume but mainly I'm a quilter. That is until this last fall when I started teaching my cousin Jean to sew. We swore, no clothing, only crafts. Then we got the idea to make PJ pants. My first try didn't go so well. It wasn't the actual sewing that was the problem, it was the reading and understanding the pattern and directions and the stupid tissue paper that the pattern is made out of. Whoever got the brilliant idea to print patterns on such flimsy tissue paper should be shot in the head. Personally, I'd be willing to pay extra for a heavier pattern. Once I got to the actual sewing I was fine. But that pattern and I just didn't get along. My mom thought that process was so hilarious as I was struggling with this tissue paper that she called my cousin Jean to get a good laugh. But, the joke was really on her. When she went to sew her pair of pants together she actually made her legs into the waist and her crotch was down at her knees!!

My next clothing try was a zipper down fleece sweatshirt. It took forever but I was happy with the results. Then I tried to make a really cute fleece blazer with the button hole stitching on the edges. By the time it was sewn together I looked like a purple people eater. It did not get finished. Then I tried to make a second fleece sweatshirt from a different pattern. I could not get the zipper installed per the directions for the life of me. I really don't understand why these pattern makers want you do some of these more difficult things with fleece. Are they insane? You can't iron in a fold, you'd melt the fleece!!

It was with this pattern that I declared that I was a quilter, not a garment maker. That sweatshirt got stuffed in a bag with some of the pattern pieces still pinned on. I don't think it will ever see the light of day because I AM A QUILTER!!!!!

Comments:
Sunday, April 8, 2007 - Amen
Posted by Dawnmarie (205.188.116.205)
Everytime I sew something, I don't like it. Even if it comes out like it is supposed to I don't like it. But I love, love, love to quilt. Quilting makes sense. I agree the patterns don't. I think they are made by some one with an engineering degree, rather than someone who actually sews. It is like those computer manuals. They are so easy to understand - NOT. I think the only people who understand those manuals are the people who don't need them. It is my story and I am sticking to it. LOL Dawn Marie

Monday, April 9, 2007 - quilts don't have to fit a person's body!
Posted by mamanance (24.127.100.247)
That is the problem with making clothes- they need to fit!! That is why I love to quilt rather than sew clothes. I am very patient with my quilt piecing, which of course does have to fit together, but get aggravated pretty quickly with trying to sew clothes too.

Monday, April 9, 2007 - Breast Cancer Charity Quilt 2
Posted by tpiechocki@verizon.net (70.17.234.175)
Just saw this on your yahoo group page and it is superbly gorgeous! Can you tell me where to get the pattern. I am a breast cancer survivor! Thanks, Pat from Baltimore

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - the patterns
Posted by ninepatchrose (71.195.93.163)
are a bit to deal with aren't they. I love KWIK SEW patterns. I found them at the fabric store in our local Amish Community. The instructions are easy to follow, the patterns are made out of white paper and they actually fit!!! I usually don't sew fitted garments, but enjoy loose flowing clothes. I'm still working on getting sleeves right, but thanks to KwiK Sew I finally got a blouse pattern with the collar to lay correctly and teh sleeve was actually a bit too big. New one for me! Anyway, If it is a hassle and you don't enjoy it then don't do it. I find I like quilting better too, but I still do sew up some skirts, jumpers, blouses when I need new clothing.
Sunday, April 8, 2007 - Amen
Posted by Dawnmarie (205.188.116.205)
Everytime I sew something, I don't like it. Even if it comes out like it is supposed to I don't like it. But I love, love, love to quilt. Quilting makes sense. I agree the patterns don't. I think they are made by some one with an engineering degree, rather than someone who actually sews. It is like those computer manuals. They are so easy to understand - NOT. I think the only people who understand those manuals are the people who don't need them. It is my story and I am sticking to it. LOL Dawn Marie

Monday, April 9, 2007 - quilts don't have to fit a person's body!
Posted by mamanance (24.127.100.247)
That is the problem with making clothes- they need to fit!! That is why I love to quilt rather than sew clothes. I am very patient with my quilt piecing, which of course does have to fit together, but get aggravated pretty quickly with trying to sew clothes too.

Monday, April 9, 2007 - Breast Cancer Charity Quilt 2
Posted by tpiechocki@verizon.net (70.17.234.175)
Just saw this on your yahoo group page and it is superbly gorgeous! Can you tell me where to get the pattern. I am a breast cancer survivor! Thanks, Pat from Baltimore

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - the patterns
Posted by ninepatchrose (71.195.93.163)
are a bit to deal with aren't they. I love KWIK SEW patterns. I found them at the fabric store in our local Amish Community. The instructions are easy to follow, the patterns are made out of white paper and they actually fit!!! I usually don't sew fitted garments, but enjoy loose flowing clothes. I'm still working on getting sleeves right, but thanks to KwiK Sew I finally got a blouse pattern with the collar to lay correctly and teh sleeve was actually a bit too big. New one for me! Anyway, If it is a hassle and you don't enjoy it then don't do it. I find I like quilting better too, but I still do sew up some skirts, jumpers, blouses when I need new clothing.

No comments: