Monday, May 28, 2007

Happy Memorial Day!!



This morning I was woke up at 8:45 by the cult. I know, I know most of you are probably up that early but I didn't go to bed until about 2:30am, if not closer to three and it's a holiday weekend for cripes sake!! I'm sorry, but if a door to door sales person came to my door on a holiday such as Memorial Day, I think I'd tell them where to go - if you know what I mean… Since my hubby hasn't been home yet to hear the chanting he wanted to "play." She pushed Holly and I out the door (It's a really good thing my mom lives so close) and blasted the loudest, most obnoxious, most foul language music he could find. Holly and I opened the door at my mom's and since she was still in bed I crawled in the other side and Holly crawled in the middle. After a few morning outbursts from the dogs fighting we managed to get another hour of sleep. Mike was out on our porch when their meeting broke up and I think he was shocked to see how many of them left the apartment and then he over heard a few of them saying how that music was really ridiculous. Go ahead…complain about it. I KNOW THESE PEOPLE DON'T HAVE A PERMIT FOR AN OFFICE, I've already checked with the city. If you want to play, be ready to play because my A game is already figured out.

When I came home Mike and I worked on planting our "garden." I was all decked out in latex gloves, sunglasses and flip flops. I'd show pictures but next to the rest of your gardens it's quite embarrassing. I'll wait till the window boxes are completely planted. It turns out I bought too few flowers for my hanging baskets…which is a shocker I typically over buy and stuff the pots. I'll have to pick up a few more. I also need a few more pepper plants because Mike didn't space those normally and there's a huge gap…it will bug me the rest of the summer whenever I look at it so I'm just going to get another plant or two. We also have one window box that's empty. Not sure if I want to get more tomato plants or if I want to fill it with flowers. Maybe I could pick up some strawberry plants somewhere. Now that might be fun. We also ran out of dirt so we need that before we can even finish.

Then it was time to sew. I really wasn't sure what I wanted to work on so I sewed a few more strip sets for the Project Linus quilts. Hopefully tomorrow I can run to Wal-mart at lunch time and pick up the fabric for the Princess quilt for Jack's twin sister. I should be able to get that done this week no problem.

I sewed my two block of the month blocks. So now I'm pretty far ahead of the game for once!! Both blocks were rather easy and it was so nice!

Moda-U Block of the Month

Wendy Rieves Block of the Month

We took a break for dinner. Tonight it was homemade hamburgers with bacon mixed in. My hubby likes to play with things on the grill in summer. I swear he makes the best burgers ever. We realized that my mom had more of the food for today's barbeque than we did so I only thought it made sense for Mike to bring the burgers to my mom's to grill them. Oh no, he doesn't like her grill. I told him to suck it up. He said he'd grill them at home and then bring them over. I was on the brink of getting pissed and then I thought, why, it's just not worth it. I ran home quick to pick up some dog food for Holly. I had figured Mike was crabby so I thought it was easier than calling him back and asking him to bring some. What do my eyes see when I pull in? Mike taking out entire grill out to his truck. Seriously. WTF?? I said, "What are you doing??" He says, "Well that's why we got this grill, because it's portable." I got the dog food, and jumped back in my car. All night my mom and I were laughing about Mike bringing his own grill. It makes NO SENSE to me whatsoever. At least it gave us something to laugh at.

I really didn't know what I wanted to work on after that. I really wasn't in the mood to work on my Purple and Lime wall hanging. Then I remembered that I wanted to make a fun bag for my Strip Poker "coins." The first two times we went to play Strip Poker we were given 12 2-1/2" strips of "game" fabric. Since I had a total of 24 strips I decided to make a Chelsea Bag without any of the pockets. All it has to do is hold my rolled up fabric strips. It looks like it will turn out pretty cute. I am all set to do the stippling on the outside of the bag tomorrow. I don't anticipate it taking too long because there isn't much I have to do with out the pockets. I'll take a picture once it's finished.

Here's a bad picture of my 35 block Turning Twenty Again quilt for our bed. It's 5 blocks wide by 7 blocks long and is one row too long. I'm going to take the 7th row off and somehow find enough fabric pieces to make a 36th block and then set it 5 rows by 6 rows and THEN add the borders. I don't know where I'll roost up all these pieces though. The idea behind a Turning Twenty quilt or in my case a Turning Twenty Again is that you use 20 fat quarters. For my quilt I used 35 fat quarters to make it the size that I wanted. They give you a cutting diagram so that you get the specific sized pieces out of your fat quarter. Then there is a variety of how these blocks can get pieced together. Twist them and turn them a few different ways and try not to put like fabrics together and you have an interesting scrappy quilt that doesn't look like it has a pattern to it. I'll tell you what; it took me forever to cut the pieces out because I was so afraid that one wrong move would alter the whole quilt! I got used to it towards the end though! I'm still not sure what colors I want to use for the borders. At this point it probably really depends on what is available. I'll probably do a 2-3 inch border and then a wider 5-6 inch border. I plan on stippling it myself. It will be our winter bed quilt. I have another quilt that is from the same line of fabric. I plan on hanging it in our bedroom and pulling it off the wall when I need a little extra warmth. I have a quilt rack; we've just never hung it. It will be nice to re-do our bedroom a little. I'll need some different curtains too but those should be pretty easy to come by or I'll just make some. Alas, I don't have a picture of the quilt that matches it. I realized today that I have quite a few quilt tops that I've taken no pictures of! I'll have to get on that!


COMMENTS:
Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by CountryQuilter
First off, the thing with the grill sounds like Richard. Sometimes I just have to smile and walk away. Love your block of the months, can't wait to see those finished. As far as the Turning Twenty...That is one of my favorites. I love browns and scrapy looking quilts. I have been looking at the photo trying to figure out the block without paying $10 for the pattern. Cheap aren't I???? :) You sound like me with all of the tops, I think I have 30 some...
Kristie






Tonight's top picks. What will you watch tonight?

No comments: