Saturday, May 26, 2007

Superman!!! ...and Donkey too



This morning mom and I went to Bits & Pieces for our block of the month. I was really glad to hear that I wasn't the only one who had problems with the card trick block. Luckily this next block is SUPER EASY. I also picked up a few more Project Linus quilt kits. Shhhhh, we won't tell anyone that I haven't finished the last sets I picked up!! I'll get to them, I know I will.

I picked up a fat quarter set of the Pampered Pooch fabric collection by Moda & Chloe's Closet. What can I say, I'm addicted to fabric and dogs…together they're a great match!! I'll be making a quilt that Holly can doze on when she's on the couch. Sure, she'll have to share it with me but then again...every quilt I've made this far isn't a quilt until Holly has laid on it!

Afterwards I zipped over to Joann Fabrics to pick up some red, white and blue verigated thread which I found to be in short supply. I bought two small spools. Next time I see a big cone of it in Star Brand I'll have to pick one up to keep on hand. I don't know what our Joann's is doing with their quilting fabric because currently they have crap. No novelty fabric, a huge clearance section and then just their usual fabric wall. Nothing good. I was all set to but pinks and purples to start on a Project Linus quilt for Jack's twin sister to match with some Disney Princesses fabric but I just couldn't picture any of it matching. My friend Maureen gave me the idea to make her a quilt too, this has to be equally hard on her, especially since it's her twin. I walked out of there with only my two spools of thread.

I braved the grocery store…twice in one month. What's come over me? And on a crazy Holiday Weekend no less. I had my grocery list written up by store section. My mom always laughs when I do this, but it ensures spending the least amount of time in the store. OMG, I was ready to kill someone by the time I got out of there. Is there some Summer Holiday requirement that tells everyone to just abandon their cart in the middle of asiles so that they can walk away up to 50 feet? Stay with your freaking carts people!!! I finally made it to the check out and I saw a giant Talking Donkey pez dispenser that I decided I had to have as a treat for braving the grocery store and coming out alive.

I headed for home and whipped up a Taco Dip that my dad likes and a pasta salad to take to his house for a barbeque. After I was done I finished the stippling on my Superman Quilt. It looks awesome.

I felt like I was taking my life into my own hands by going to this barbeque. My dad and I didn't speak for about 7 years when my parents got divorced. There were a lot of things that happened that I didn't agree with and instead of just agreeing to disagree he kept insisting that I agree with him until I just walked away and stopped talking to him all together. We starting talking again about a year ago and it's ok. It's a good thing.

Anyway, 2 of my dad's brothers were there. My Uncle Dave is pretty cool. He was always around to give me a run for my money growing up. Partly because I'm gullible and partly because he like to see just how far he could go. One Christmas when I was little he told me he had just come from eating Kermit the Frog's legs. I thought I was never going to forgive him! Other times he'd call our house ON THE PHONE) and tell me that we were going to play hide and seek and I was to go hide. It got to the point that my mom would walk past the phone off the hook, pick it up and automatically say, "Hi Dave." My Dad's other brother Don I only remember from when I was a little kid. He had a falling out with our family and I didn't see him again until recently. He's hilarious too, I really enjoyed talking to him. My Dad's parents were also there. I'm just not a big fan of them. No, I take that back, I'm not a fan of theirs at all and someday Karma will take over and they'll get theirs. They've never been nice to me. God forbid I came into this world as a girl. His mother just kept staring at me as I tried dogging from room to avoid her, telling me it was just so good to see me. Ok, WHAT? You never wanted anything to do with me before. 30 years too late lady. It's ok, I got a dig in. Sarah, my dad's wife's daughter in law is about to embark on an around the world trip with the company she works for. One of her stops is Hong Kong. My Uncle Don said he just couldn't place exactly where Hong Kong was. Everyone nodded and agreed saying that they just weren't good at geography. My response, "I wouldn't know, I was given a Spanish Globe." Yep. A Spanish Globe from my dad's parents for my 7th birthday. Great gift for an English speaking kid. My mom called around EVERYWHERE trying to exchange this thing for the English Version. Eventually we gave it away and it became a White Elephant Gift. They probably won it at Bingo. Luckily I made it out of there alive with no conflicts with my dad's parents. I sighed a huge sigh of relief when they pulled out of the driveway.

I came home afterwards and put the binding on the Superman Quilt and made it's matching pillow case. Here it is:

COMMENTS:
Monday, May 28, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by CountryQuilter
Love the superman quilt, and I can't wait to see what you make with your pooch fabric. You are so creative. Sounds like you had a long weekend. Glad things are okay with your dad now. I have not spoke to my dad in two years. It is always a big fight around his wife and he allows it. I told him " My kids don't see this at home and I won't have this going on around them here" He had two heartattacks a couple of years ago, me and mom were out shopping when I got the call, so naturally she went to the hospital with me to watch Hunter (then age 2) she stayed in the waiting area, Hunter fell asleep and his THING tried to fight my mom, while she was holding Hunter. They were not even married at the time and we are not like that, she is so crazy. I mean what kind of 50 year old people try to fight. That's stupid. So I just don't go around them at all...
Kristie






Luggage? GPS? Comic books?
Check out fitting gifts for grads at Yahoo! Search.

No comments: