Sunday, June 24, 2007

9 Patch



This is a quilt that I bought the kit for at Bits & Pieces. Honestly, the only thing that drew me in was the striped fabric that is in the border. I don't know what it is about that stripe but I LOVE it. I also picked it up to use as the binding. The rest of the fabrics are really extremely out of the box for me. In fact the one has birds on it. I'm not a big fan of birds on fabric. I honestly don't have any clue why I bought this kit.

I bought the kit in January at our first Moda-U BOM session. After we left we went to pick my Grandma up because my Aunt Joan was dying. They were doing Hospice at home. We were told it wouldn't be long so we went for a visit. When we arrived my cousin Tracey only answered the door because she was on her way to call the hospice nurse because she thought her mom had just died. She wasn't even sure yet. The rest of that day we spent with our family. My aunt Joan was Irish so we had an Irish Wake and did a lot of drinking because if you didn't have a drink in your hand it made my cousin Tracey nervous. We told a lot of stories and shared a lot of memories.

My mom and I left around 7pm. We went back to her house and then my notorious nervous energy kicked in. She sat and made herself a drink, I decided to cut the fabric out for this quilt. She made another drink, I decided to sew the quilt. It really went together rather quickly. She went to make her third drink and I said, "What's up with this, you're never going to offer ME a drink?" She made some comment about me being old enough to make my own damn drink and then proceeded to make me the strongest Jack and Sour that I've ever had with at least 10 marichino cherries in it so that I could "Catch Up" to her. Well, then my sewing got pretty darn erratic and I called it a night but hey, my quilt top was DONE.

Over the next few days we spent a lot of time with family. We picked up quite a few people from the air port and just tried to do anything we could to make those first few days easier for them by helping out in any way that we possibly could. I just felt so helpless. I needed to do SOMETHING, ANYTHING for them. While over at my cousin Tracey's I noticed that her foot stools in her living room match the stripe in the quilt top that I just made. I can't help but wonder if there is some kind of connection between my buying that quilt fabric only about an hour before my aunt died. It's just always something that's made me kind of wonder. I helped put together the photo memory boards. I took Tracey to her hair appointment. Before my aunt died, Tracey had been trying to get in to get a hair cut and hi-lites. Every appointment came and went because something either came up with her mom or one of her girls. Finally her stylist just made her 3 appointments and said she knew she'd find a way to get in for one of them. We're standing in the kitchen the day after my aunt died and they're discussing what day the memorial service is going to be. My uncle says Monday. Tracey says, "It can't be monday, my hair won't be dyed yet, I CANNOT GO TO MY MOTHER'S FUNERAL WITH GREY HAIR." And that was that. It's funny how regular day to day things can co-mingle with such saddness. Going with her was a hilarous experience. We're sitting there, passing the time and she mentions getting her eyebrows waxed and I ask if I can get mine done while we're there. So my cousin is laying back and getting her eyebrows waxed. Next thing I know she's flailing about in pain. She said she thinks getting eyebrows waxed is more painful than when she gave birth to her two daughters. So ok, I'm laughing my a$$ off. I sit back in the chair and she's saying how she just doesn't understand how I can just lay there and not move. I say, "Well, not everyone can flail around like..." and I start moving my legs and flailing my arms. The wax moves and the stylist says, "Well, we'll have to match this eye brow to the other." We all busted out in laughter. I went around for the next two months looking like I had a permanent look of surprise on my face. They were SOOOO thin. I guess it shows, I'll do anything to get my cousin to laugh!!

Oh, I guess I got off on a tangent there. Probably more than you all needed to know. Oh well. Here's the quilt:


COMMENTS:
Sunday, June 24, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by Anonymous (24.215.52.160)
So sorry to hear of the passing of your aunt ,you may have felt like your were doing nothing but it sounds like you did all the right things .I never know what to do or say at a time like that ,so I do what you did just keep busy and help who I can .
The eye brow story is sooooo funny , it sounds like it was fun and you had a good time ,No eye brows but lots of fun LOL


Sunday, June 24, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by lori (24.215.52.160)
Sorry I forgot to sign in the with the last post .


Sunday, June 24, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by sewsue (168.209.98.42)
I think its a great quilt with all those color combinations. I still have to learn how to use floral with floral. I use mostly calico and a plain color and use the floral for a combination of the plain colors. You made a lovely choice with the colors combinations


Sunday, June 24, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by scissorhandscps (69.208.90.46)
Pretty quilt1 The eyebrow thing is great! Sounds like something I would have said too. Too funny :0)


Sunday, June 24, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by CountryQuilter (69.176.34.154)
Sorry to hear about your aunt, I have never heard of an Irish wake. I love the fabrics in the quilt, I think it is really nice...
Kristie






Take the Internet to Go: Yahoo!Go puts the Internet in your pocket: mail, news, photos & more.

No comments: