Monday, June 25, 2007

At the Dog Wash



I can't get the song "Carwash" out of my head. Except that I keep singing it as, "At the dog wash." It had been quite some time since Holly had had a bath. 9 months in fact. I'm just not big on dog bathing. Unless they smell bad or get into something dirty I really don't see the need. Maybe Cindy can give me some insight on if I'm right or not. It's just what we've always done.

Holly HATES baths. She HATES anything to do with water except to drink it. All the other neighborhood dogs will play in the baby pools set out by their owners, Holly will stand as far away as possible and crane her neck to drink out of it. We tried to take her swimming at a lake once and in the end I had to push her in. She was NOT a happy camper and got out right away.

My last dog, Sherman now he was a swimming addict. If we'd take him up to the lake, eventually we'd have to tie him up to a tree just so he'd stop going in and could dry out. He saw my husband out in the middle of the lake in his fishing boat once and proceeded to swim out to him. By the time I realized where he was headed I couldn't get to him. Mike didn't want to start the boat to come towards him because he didn't want to take the risk of hitting him with the propeller. So we had a quandry. We just hoped to heck he could make it all the way out there without reaching exhaustion...and he did. Then Mike had to try to pull him in the boat. That was a sight to be seen. I mean, it was an aluminum fishing boat...not exactly something you can throw your weight around in and when you have a grown man hanging over the side trying to pull a 95 pound dog into a boat it's a little risky!! But, it worked out in the end. We always called him Shermipottomus. He looked like the hippos swimming at the soo with his snout just barely out of the water.

So there the three of us were. Mom bathing Murphy and Mike and I fighting with Holly. She did a lot better than normal. She didn't get as vocal as she usually does. She even let me blow her dry which was a first in her 7+ years. She's so poofy now!! It's so cute to see how much body her hair has. She looks like a Llab but has the longer hair like a Shepard.

She forgave me pretty quick. I was the main bather...the one giving her the scrub down while Mike hit her with the water. We were home for about an hour. I was reading on the couch, lying on my back. Her new thing is to want to lay next to me on the couch which means I have to lay sideways and push myself into the back of the couch so that we both fit. There we laid. Good thing I had a towel on the couch. After about an hour, I was pretty damp and getting a chill. I ended up throwing a quilt over both of us. She didn't mind so she must have been chilly too.


COMMENTS:
Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by CountryQuilter (69.176.32.201)
How cute! I was telling your mother that I must really live in the hills. I didn't know that the pet supply stores had a place to bath dogs :o) Our dogs are all outside dogs, they don't come in the house, but of course now if I could get Old Jim in here he would have his own bedroom. You should try bathing a horse! That is really a mess, we don't do it very often, mostly just before a show.
Kristie


Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by 51050 (24.176.0.71)
Isn't this dog part lab? What happened to the swimming gene? We have a cocker who couldn't swim. We have a pool. On hot days we pick her up and put her in, but she's lucky to make it to the steps. Her back end keeps going down, down... In an emergency she'd never make it. I send her to a groomer. Rhoda


Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by scissorhandscps (69.208.90.46)
That is great! A doggy wash. We have one about 45 minutes from here. Have never been inside though. How often people bath their dog is all their own opinion. Some say twice a year and on the flip side, some say once a week. As long as the dogs skin isn't drying out from use of wrong shampoo or not enough cream rinse then I say go for it. I bathed seven today and must say that doggy washes are great for those doggies that really can't stand a bath. It makes my life easier if the owners bath those dogs themselves :0) Holly is a pretty dog.


Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by orchidlover (90.196.228.93)
Stanley loves water and having a bath. Unless he's rolled in something we bath him every 3 months. When you tell him it's bath time he will run upstairs to the bathroom and jump in the bath ready. He loves the shower on him and keeps wagging his tail all the way through.

love and hugs gina xxx






Tonight's top picks. What will you watch tonight?

No comments: