Friday, June 15, 2007

Clean your Machine!!!



How often do you clean your sewing machine? I clean my sewing machine at the beginning of every new project. Since I flip back and forth quite a bit I try to remember to remove the plate on my machine and clean it every weekend day that I sew and every other night that I sew on a week night. If I'm sewing something extra linty, more often.

What do you consider clean and what do you use? Well, I used to consider clean to be taking a brush and brushing at all the visible lint. I also snag a few "tester" mascara wands whenever I go to Ulta. This gives me a great brush to swipe in and out of those hard to reach places because you can get lint out of the weirdest places. With these wands you need to make sure the head won't come off. It's just a plastic handle with a metal wire pushed into it. Test it before putting it into your machine. I usually rip the heads off and put a dot of super glue and re-attach. This was after I lost a head in my machine and had to fish it out ever so carefully. Every so often I try a little canned air. Some people say it's a do, others say it's a don't. I don't know the answer. For Christmas my mom bought me a micro-vacuum attachment set. I hook that up once in a while and try to suck out all the lint that I can.

I decided tonight to give my machine an extra good cleaning since we have the all day sewing event tomorrow from 9-4. I didn't want to be cleaning at the start so before I packed up tonight I thought I'd have at it. Then, I got the notion to unscrew the bottom tray. 5 easy screws and I was in. I was horrified to see what was sitting in the tray. I brushed more out from the other crevices. I tossed it into my sewing garbage and then I thought no, other quilters need to see this. This is just the mound of lint that was sitting in the tray. It's so unbelievable to me that I stuck a quarter next to it so that you'd understand the amount of lint that was in there. This mound is actually about 3/8 of an inch thick.

I also want to point out that my machine was last in for service in September of 2006. It's due again shortly...especially after seeing this mound of lint! That's a lot of lint!!

When was the last time you gave your machine a good cleaning?

COMMENTS:
Friday, June 15, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by CountryQuilter (69.176.34.188)
I know well, what you are talking about. Not too long ago, my machine was acting weird so Richard took it completely apart. Anything that had a screw. I had the biggest pile of lint and junk that you have ever seen. As far as compressed air goes, I think it is fine, I use it on mine all of the time. I used to work at a sewing factory we made Arizona Jeans for JCP and Levis. Of course they were industrial machines, but they would ring a buzzer every 2 hours and we would have to grab the air hoses and blow our machines off. They said that was the life of a machine, that and of course oil.

I do clean mine quiet often, but I do think I need to take it apart again pretty soon. The lint seems to build up down in the bottom of mine too. And I usually oil it quite often also.

I hope you and your mom have fun tomorrow, I am so jealous!!!
Kristie


Saturday, June 16, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by orchidlover (90.196.228.57)
I clean mine every time I change my needle or once a week, which ever is sooner.
I strip it completely and use cotton wool buds to fish into the crevices.

love and hugs gina xxx


Saturday, June 16, 2007 - Cleaning Machines
Posted by bobbinhead (65.31.225.153)
I clean the lint out of my bobbin case every time I change a bobbin. I haven't taken anything apart though to see what else is in there. Figured I'd be the one that breaks it. I use a soft hair crafter's paint brush to get down into the cracks.






Looking for a deal? Find great prices on flights and hotels with Yahoo! FareChase.

No comments: