Thursday, June 7, 2007

I don't wanna sell my soul to the Devil. =(



I've been trying to figure out a way to buy myself a sewing table. It's scary to think that the "low end" what's considered a bare bones model in the sewing world STARTS at $390. To add the plastic insert that would fill the blank space around my machine is another $48, to have a drop leaf put on either side would be another $38. Then if my current chair doesn't work out because I'd be sitting so much lower, a chair would be another $99. Without tax that's already $575. It just seems like too large of an expense to me just for a table. We're not talking about bedroom furniture here, or a dining set, we're talking about a table just so I can sew comfortably. It just seems like too much. My husband offered to cut the legs down on my current table but that wouldn't gain me all that many inches. I think I figured it out that I need to lose between 7 & 9 inches over all. Sure it would help, but what if that makes my current table unstable? I would still need eventually to have something where my machine would drop down in it. My back and shoulders are so screwed up as it is, I don't need to make them worse just by sewing and I don't want to give up sewing. It's bad enough I'm currently banned from cycling. And, what if I get said table and that's not perfect either? Can you really go to the sewing store and test drive a table for say, 6 hours?
Anyway, back to finding a way to buy myself a table. I've been thinking of what I own that I don't use that I can sell on ebay. While that's good in theory, it would take me a ridiculous amount of time to raise $600 not to mention all the time it will take me to list things because I'm not exactly quick at it.
Do I make some consignment quilts? I feel like I'd be selling my soul to the devil. I wouldn't even make that much after the cost of materials. It wouldn't be any fun, it would be a job and I'd drive myself crazy trying to make it all perfect. I don't like to sew on a pattern or fabric that I haven't chosen. And how do I find a client? It's not like I'm in this for the long haul, I just want to make a few bucks for a table and then be done.
I can make jewlery, but again what do I make? What do I charge? How do a find buyers?
Same thing with Purses. I love creating but how do I know what I make is what others would want to buy and where do I find these others?
I'm stumped, I'm truely stumped. Sales person I'm not.

COMMENTS:
Thursday, June 7, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by CountryQuilter (69.176.34.139)
Well, it sure looks like you have a dilemma. I really don't know what to tell you, maybe you could try cutting down your current table. But I do understand that it is hard to put that much money into something. I know when I bought my new machine Ii put it off for months, because I was too cheap to spend money when I already had 3 others. After we get the house finished, I am planning on buying a Baileys Longarm quilting machine. I already have the money put back in a CD for it, but when the time comes it will be really hard to pay that much for it. I'm sure when I get the house done, I will want new furniture too. But I guess in the long run it will save me on quilting prices.
Kristie


Friday, June 8, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by orchidlover (90.196.228.73)
I was going to get a sewing table but the cost put me off aswell. We bought an old office desk instead. It's plenty big enough for my sewing and it's at just the right height. I use the drawers for all my bits and pieces.
Are there any offices closing down near you that would be willling to sell you a big desk?

love an dhugs gina xxx


Friday, June 8, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by Vesuviusmama (137.113.52.128)
Do you have flea markets near you? We have them a couple times a year here at our drive-in movie theater. Sometimes churches or community groups will have events like flea markets. Tables are $5-$10. If I were you, I would make up some purses and jewelry, add to it things you find around the house that you wouldn't mind selling, and rent a flea market table for a day. See what you can get. My friends and I had a yard sale a few weeks ago, just with stuff from the basement that we don't even want or use, and made over $400.


No comments: