Monday, June 11, 2007

Optical Fibers Quilt


So, What do you guys think of this quilt? I pulled a quilt book at random tonight from my quilt books not thinking about fabric or who for. I flipped to the page with this Optical Fibers Quilt. It's paper pieced and I'd need 78 blocks to make a twin size but it's so straight forward it isn't even funny. I immediately thought of the fabric that I purchased a while back to make a quilt for my Cousin Tracey's daughter Alli. She's ready for her Big Girl Quilt and I bought a ton of purple and pink fat quarters. This quilt can be made from strips. I was originally thinking of a Yellow Brick Road or a Turning Twenty Again quilt for her but the idea of ironing all of those fat quarters and cutting all those exact pieces just isn't appealing. If I do this, my time will be in the printing of the pages...which I can walk away while they're printing. It won't take long to cut the strips. I like the illusion of this quilt. It looks like rings. The only fabric I'd need to buy when I'm done is the borders. I'm thinking of one pink and one purple and binding...unless of course there's left overs from the fat quarters, then I could piece those strips together for a binding. That would make one cool binding. I'm thinking of an all over stipple and then borders on a roll for the quilting in the two borders. My quilt would be 6 blocks by 13 blocks and the two borders would be 4 & 6 inches. Totalling 56 x 98 which coincidentially is the same size as the quilt I made a few years back for her sister Sammi. The blocks are each 6 inches finished.


COMMENTS:
Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by orchidlover (90.196.228.82)
Yes I like that one, and so does Gemma so you've had the kiddie (don't tell her I called her that, she's 12) seal of approval

love and hugs gina xx


Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by 51050 (24.176.0.71)
I think it would be pretty stunning! I hope you do it because I want to see it tomorrow. Just kidding!! Rhoda


Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by CountryQuilter (69.176.35.213)
Yes, I love it. You have to make this quilt. It is beautiful. The more you stare at it the more different shapes that you see. Very nice pattern.
Kristie


Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by Anonymous (12.205.65.222)
Pink and purple sound wonderful Jen! How did you know those were two of my favorite colors! I am so new to PP that it looks like a lot of work, but I'm sure it will be beautiful. I just don't know where you get all your energy. Please tell me your secret!!!! Michelle


Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - optical illusions / kaleidescope quilt
Posted by buzzcyndi (207.160.143.35)
love this quilt, i've made 2 kaleidescope, but not finished the edge like that, VERY COOL!!! i'm not quilte sure i understand how you're going to make it out of strips, but let us know how that works. it ought to be AWESOME in those colors. hope to see it when you're done cyndi






Yahoo! oneSearch: Finally, mobile search that gives answers, not web links.

No comments: