Sunday, June 3, 2007

The Princesses Project Linus Quilt is Finished!!



Today I worked really hard on the Princesses Project Linus Quilt. I basted it, free motion quilted it and added the binding. My mom removed my basting tacks and threw it in the wash with fabric softener...it needed the fabric softener but it wasn't as bad as the Superman Fabric. Tonight when I got home I printed two fabric labels and sewed them on. Here's the front, back and a close-up shot of the quilting:

Last weekend I started working on a modified version of the Chelsea Tote. I needed something to carry my "Strip Poker" fabric coins in. Every month when we go, we are given 12 2-1/2" strips rolled up. The first two months it was game fabric. Dice, poker chips, bingo cards, chess pieces, dominoes, etc. I took the fabric from those two months and sewed it into two big pieces. The one piece I left in strips and used this as my lining. The other piece I then cut back into 2-1/2" strips, flipped the strips from top to bottom and re-sewed them to create a checker board. I say that the tote is modified because I didn't add any of the pockets and it's slightly smaller than the pattern states. It's pretty cute and I'm sure the shop owner will get a kick out of it when she sees it next week!

As if that wasn't enough for one day, I started a raggy flannel blanket for Project Linus. I still have to do all the cutting. I'll take it's picture when it's complete. It's turning out really cute, it's all Snoopy Fabric. I rushed to get it done so that I could have something to work on during lunch this week. I have 3 or 4 more of the kits so I need to get cracking. My last Project Linus meeting for the summer is June 18th and I'd like to have all my kits that I have on hand completed so that I can start out fresh and keep rolling till our next meeting in September.

While I was at my mom's I bent down to take a look at her carpeting where all the leaking was occurring. It pulled right up along the edges. YUCK. It looks like the carpets padding was put down onto bare concrete. Something tells me there should be a subfloor or something first. Most of the padding has disolved and it was very mildew-ey. After that I could not shake the smell of mildew out of my nose. Of course, then it stormed again and Mike called to say that our patio door started to leak. I'm with my mom, it's time to start calling the corporate offices of Wimmer Brothers and get them involved. Meanwhile I think it's time to start spreading the word about the way Wimmer Brothers treats their tenants and tell people not to rent from them. Hmm, What could I do short of setting up a lemonade stand and talking to all the people that come out of the leasing office? I could see if we treated their property poorly or didn't pay our rent on time but that's not how it is at all. In fact, half of the things that need repairing in our apartment my husband and I have done ourselves just because it's such a pain to get them to take care of anything. My gosh, Mike and I have lived here since June of 1999 and my Mom has been here since April of 2002. You'd think they'd want to make an effort to retain their long term residents instead of catering to all of the short term leases and "corporate accounts." I hope they google their own name once in a while and see that I've talked about them on my blog. A little blog can generate a lot of bad publicity and right now I'm categorizing them as slum lordes. They need to start taking better care of their properties before they crumble right in front of their eyes. Rivershire Apartments Milwaukee West Allis Wisconsin


COMMENTS:
Monday, June 4, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by 51050
My son and his wife had the same problem with their apartment complex. When they did come to fix something in the bathroom they pounded a hole in their ceiling that was there yet when they moved out last week. Rhoda


Monday, June 4, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by CountryQuilter
love the quilt, you did a very good job on the quilting. I'm sure she will love it. I can't believe you made that bag out of strips, you are so talented. I love it. I don't blame you all for being so upset with your apartments, I would be furious! Can't wait to see what you make next...
Kristie



No comments: