Friday, July 13, 2007

Alzheimer's Quilts - Viewers Choice Contest



Here are the other 3 quilts that were made for our challenge. Maureen's awesome star quilt took first place!!

Her quilt is quite clever!! The points that are cut off here and there or not matched up represent your memory not being as sharp as it used to be. It is stippled and also has the fast finish corners in the back for hanging.

Mine took second. I'll try to answer a few questions about my quilt. All of the puzzle pieces were cut apart and then satin stitched together. The Thread Painting idea wasn't even done until AFTER the black satin stitching was complete...then I realized it needed something. I had never thread painted before. This whole quilt was my own idea. To the best of my knowledge I've never seen this done before. The "Fast Finish Triangles" on the back are for hanging purposes, instead of using a hanging sleeve. I've used them before I just didn't know they had a name until I visited Ami Simms web site. That is where I got the idea to put the corners on the bottom as well to keep the wallhanging hanging nice and straight. I plan to use this idea for wall hangings in the future...especially the ones that I hang on our front door.

Wendy's took 3rd. I don't remember what her artist's statement for the front was, but the back sort of makes it reversible. The badk shows the free motion quilting so well that it shows the image of the Angel being an outline of her former self.

Rosie was our 4th place winner. I almost wish we would have told our artist's statements prior to the vote because hers is the most touching. Her quilt represents a friend of hers that she used to quilt with. You start with the teacher theme. The grey background fades. The "A" represents how sharp she once was. The "B" is frayed and represents how her memory started to fade. The "C" represents how she no longer remembers her friends.



COMMENTS
Saturday, July 14, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by SewAndSnip
All of these quilts were fantastic and it was hard to pick. I think now they write a statement about the quilts and then send them in to be auctioned off for Charity. I hope we can watch the auction to see what they go for.
Cindy


Saturday, July 14, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by CountryQuilter
They are all very beautiful and have such a special meaning. They were made for a great cause.
Kristie


Sunday, July 15, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by 51050
It's so interesting to see what people can come up with. There were certainly some beautiful quilts with a lot of meaning. Rhoda


Sunday, July 15, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by Trina
Those are all great!!


No comments: