Sunday, July 22, 2007

A Bad day of Binding


Wow, did I do a lot of reading today! I didn't get out of my pj's until 2:30!! Finally I had to give the book to my husband and tell him to hide it.

Yesterday I struggled through 4 of the 11 quilts that I needed to get the binding sewn on to. It took forever for me to figure those 4 out because I typically just fold the end under. I decided it was time to learn to do it the right way so that it's all connected cleanly with a diagonal seam. Well, I just don't get it. No matter what I did today, I couldn't get it to work out to my advantage. I can't tell you how many different times and different ways I had the binding ends sewn together but only 2 times did I get it "right" and it wasn't even right because the strips were twisted. I just don't know what to do. I've checked all of my quilt books, I've checked numerous web sites, I even tried to watch a video online and it just doesn't click for me. I had a complete meltdown and had to leave my mom's. I was so upset that when I got home I just wanted my HP book and to be left alone. I'm already panicking about trying it again tomorrow night. Sure I could just turn them under, but I really want to over come this.

I did finish Harry Potter and all I can say is WOW!!!!!!

COMMENTS:
Monday, July 23, 2007 - Quilt Binding
Posted by Anonymous
Hi Jen,
Look at this website. Is this the binding method you are trying to do?

http://mccallsquilting.com/lessons/binding//index.html

This is what I do. I like a nice healthy binding, so I cut my strips 4", but you
could cut them whatever you like. I sew the binding to the front, after I have ironed it in half lengthwise, and I have a nice long piece. I use a 5/8" seam, but you can use whatever you like. The trick is whatever size seam you use, you STOP the
same distance from the corner. In my case, 5/8". If you use 1/4", stop 1/4" from the corner, and follow the directions on this website. You cut your threads, take it away from the machine, make a diagonal fold, then fold it straight back down. Put it back under the pressure foot, again, using the same seam width you stitched with before....in my case, 5/8", and continue on. The website gives you nice clear instructions. When you have it all sewn on, and you get to the corners, you just fold it over to the other side and fold it so they are mitered. I hope this helps. If not, email me with your number, and I'll call you, and we can talk this out. I know once you get it, you will be just fine. Michelle


Monday, July 23, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by CountryQuilter
Glad you finished your book. It usually takes my a few tries to get the bindings right too.
Kristie

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by Vesuviusmama
I guess this goes without saying, but I wouldn't mind bindings if it weren't for those blasted corners!!!


Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by orchidlover
Jen I do my bindings like Michelle. It took a while before I 'got' it though. Just stick at it and it'll come. You're probably puting more pressure on yourself because they are not your quilts.

By the way i finished Harry Potter last night. Gemma's day trip got cancelled so i got the book off her. Not impressed that it was one of my favourite characters that got killed off, but a very good book

love an dhugs gina xxx






Be a better Globetrotter. Get better travel answers from someone who knows.
Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

No comments: