Saturday, July 28, 2007

Basting - Oh how I loathe Basting




My mom and I just got back from Frank's Sewing Center. We managed to baste the three twin sized quilts and the one queen/king sized log cabin in 2-1/2 hours. We both had our basting guns flying. It was so helpful to have the three large banquet tables lined up then we rolled their super comfy sewing chairs up to the table and just went to town.

I had 4 different battings. The first one was Hobbs Heirloom Cotton. Our basting guns worked really well on that one. I'm not fond of the way it feels up against my hands but once it's inside a quilt you never have to touch it again. The second batting was mountain mist - low loft. This was for the king sized quilt. Throwing around something that large is bad enough, I didn't want to struggle with the heavyness of the cotton. It was pretty easy to baste. The basting gun was a little more finicky. The third batting was a fusible Hobbs Heirloom Cotton. I had bought this one by mistake. I've never used a fusible bat and I decided this was not the time to play with it so we just basted it like normal. Our basting guns HATED it. I can only imagine that it's going to be as big of a pain in the but to quilt. I figure I'll dull quite a few needles while doing this quilt. The fouth quilt was the Warm and Natural. This by far was the easiest batting to baste. It's a good thing that it's my favorite to use to begin with.

I've never basted so many quilts at one time and it was nice to baste them back to back so that I found out which I liked to baste better. It will be interesting now as I quilt them to see if going back to back while quilting I find which ones I like quilting on the best.

My mom just ran Murphy to the vet. Now I'll clear off the kitchen table for her so that when she gets back she can set up. Then I'll go about clearing off my side table so that I'll be able to drape my quilt on it as I sew. I plan on doing laundry while I quilt so that I'm forced to get up every now and then to change loads. Otherwise, knowing me I'll just do one until it's completely done.

I'm off, to start the quilting marathon. I'm at this stage with 13 days to go! Wooo hooo, I'm way ahead of the game.

COMMENTS:
Saturday, July 28, 2007 - Batting
Posted by luv2quilt
Hi Jen,
Just some information for you. When I started quilting, I only used fusible batting because it held in place. I hated basting or pinning,because it was so difficult for me. I found out about the fusable batting and I used it alot, until I got my quilter. I have not washed any quilts I have made, but my quilts mostly just get used for display. My friend Christie used fusable for awhile too. Recently, she decided to take apart a quilt she had done, and she is going to put it on my quilter, with new warm and natural batting. This quilt, she had only quilted in the ditch on her machine. She had washed it a time or two, also. She said when she took apart the quilt, the fusable batting was just all in shreds. She said if she had washed it more, it would eventually end up in wads.....so, you might want to reconsider taking the fusable out and using another kind. I'm sorry I had to tell you this, but thought you would want to know now, rather than later, as I know your quilts will be 'loved' and used.

Now get your butt down here and try out my quilter! Oh....I can't wait to see you and your mom on the 11th!!! Michelle


Saturday, July 28, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by lori
Like you I prefer the Warm and Natural batting .You are so lucky to have your mom there to help ,basting is one job I dislike there fore I use spray basting and have had really good results with it . Don't over do it with the quilting ,oh what am I saying I know you are going to stick with it till there all done .Happy Quilting


Saturday, July 28, 2007 - Amazing...
Posted by take2quilter
I have never used a basting gun...I still use pins since I have a bejillion of them from the shop still. I can't wait to see. I did get batteries and it now works. It sits on a docking station which I thought was supposed to keep it charged. Guess you do have to get new batteries every once in a while. I will take pictures and post then through webshots tonight.

Jen, why does it show a gallery area and you can't post to it? Is it just me? I would like to post the quilts to one place. Seems to make sense.

I would love to be able to get together with all of you.

Now, I am off to create!

Have a great Saturday...Jen, remember to breathe and move away from the machine at least three times today.LOL

Joanna


Saturday, July 28, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by CountryQuilter
You are killing me. He I slept in until noon and am just now cleaning up my sewing area to sew and you have already basted 4 quilts... As far as batting goes, I usually use the Mountain Mist, but for something really special I use the Warm and Natural. Unless I don't have any and I am sending them to the quilters then she just uses what she has.
Kristie


Saturday, July 28, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by jillquilts
What is a quilting gun? They haven't talked about that in any of the classes I have taken and I have only seen basting done with the long needles and thread.



No comments: