Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Big Kid Quilts - Suffication - A knife to the Throat - Smurf Pee


Boy...did that get everyones attention?!?!

Today at lunch time I was sitting there thinking about how much I like that giant carpenter's wheel block that I made the baby quilt out of. In one of the quilt magazine's I bought last Friday it has a pattern for making a shower curtain. The middle of the shower curtain needs to be 60x60. If I make the quilt as it's pictured in the book it comes out 55x55. I left off the triangle border for the baby quilt. I could add a 2.5" border and I'd have the 60x60. I could then border it the way the rest of the pattern shows. Then I got to thinking, what a great way to change my bathroom often for different seasons? My thought is this, I make the front of the shower curtain. Then I buy a fabric shower curtain liner that has the water proof barrier and use that as my shower curtain backing, with nothing in between. We hang a second liner between our main shower curtain and tub anyway so I'd have another one hanging. This could keep the quilted part very much away from the water. I could do some "stitch in the ditch" or stippling just to keep it all from shifting. Now I just need to decide on my colors and find some "spare" time to do this in. I might as well just plan for fall colors for 2008.

All I wanted to do when I got home from work tonight was get started on Jake & Zack's big kid quilts. I needed to iron all the fat quarters, get them cut and start sewing. I was half way through ironing the green set of fat quarters when my Grandma called. She was in tears and needed help. Now of course, did she tell me what she needed help with? No, just hangs up. I freak out and just about fly over there breaking all speed limits. For all I know she fell. SIGH. She just needed help with her sewing machine. Now I love her dearly but then she tells me that she called my mom and my mom told her that there was no way she'd come help her because she'd just screw it up again. I know that is something my mom wouldn't say to her. She may think it after a stressful day, but she'd never say it. TURNS OUT, THERE WASN'T EVEN A PHONE CALL LIKE THAT. In the end my mom came by too. We added some foamy tape to the bed of her machine to give her a ridge so that she can push the fabric against that and get an accurate seam. By accurate we're talking anything from 1/8" to 3/4" inch. It's a split rail fence that she's making so it won't be awful, but it will take some fancy cutting as she starts putting it together. I think that's what we call creative license!! I was there from around 5:20 to after 8. As my mom and I were leaving she decided she was taking us out for dinner. Ok, my dinner was waiting for me in the fridge - Mike had BBQ-ed us pork chops and my mom had planned on a hot dog. We ended up at Culvers and I had a craptastic cheese burger. The funniest thing about that ordeal was that she insists she's taking us to dinner for helping her. We get in the car, my mom is pulling away from the curb, my grandma realizes she doesn't have her wallet so she just tries to open the car door and get out so she can go get it. OMG!! She was so upset that she couldn't buy us dinner. Ok, it's not the end of the world, neither my mom or I need payment for helping her anyway. But it was SOOOOO darn funny.

While we were there, my mom was pretending to suffocate herself with a pillow off of my Grandma's couch. Grandma also has this little plastic bird that chirps constantly. It drives me bonkers. Soooo, that's me holding a butter knife to his throat while threatening to cut his head off AND I'm the one taking the picture. Could you tell we were about to crack?? This was definitely one of those times when it was a good thing she couldn't see what we were doing. But we were both laughing so hard we were just about hyper-ventilating.

When I finally returned home after 9 I made great progress on my two Yellow Brick Road quilts. I got the rest of the fat quarters ironed. 18 of them for each quilt. I got all of them cut and I got the first two steps sewn. I'm seriously considering buying 18 new pink and purple fat quarters for Alli's quilt and making her a Yellow Brick Road as well so I can give all three their Big Kid Quilts at once. I can always finish that other quilt for Alli some other time. It's $1 Fat Quarter Frenzy this weekend at the Patched Works so hopefully they'll have some pinks and purples I can pick up. The rest I can grab at Jo-Ann's. I think they're on sale for $0.99 this week. I know, it's stupid. I do already have her other quilt started but I just can see the light at the end of the tunnel if I do hers as a YBR. The one I'm working on for her now I liked better in the book. It's paper piecing and I can't see working on something right now that I dread. It's not a hard quilt to make, it's just more time consuming. Time consuming is fine but I'm just not in that mode right now!

My hubby was out shopping tonight for our dinner and picked me up a surprise. A few bottles of diet Smurf Pee. Ok, I know what you're all thinking...that I'm wacked in the head. But, Blue Raspberry soda has always been a fun treat for me. Actually, Blue Raspberry any kind of beverages. We used to get soda in glass bottles from a local company called Black Bear when I was a kid. A few years back they started selling Blue Raspberry soda. Somewhere along the line someone started calling it "Smurf Pee" and with me it caught on. Now that it comes in Diet, I think I'm going to call it, "Smurf Piddle."

It's ok, I KNOW I'm nuts, and I'm secure with that. If a little bottle of blue soda can amuse me so much and make me smile, don't you think I should just drink it by the gallon?

Here's what I've got done so far on the Yellow Brick Road Quilts:

Zack's is green, Jacob's is Blue

Step 1, pressed and cut. Step 2, sewn and strewn on the floor.

I have Elton John's song, "Yellow Brick Road" in my head...it won't go away. However, it could be worse. I could be singing the tune from the Wizard of Oz or some of the other odd crap that I've had in my head lately!!

On that note, I'm off to bed!!

COMMENTS:
Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by Trina
Jen, you are so funny!! The title did get my attention, sadly it was the smurf pee I had to know what that was all about........LOL


Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 2am...yep, I'm still up, Jen!
Posted by luv2quilt
Jen, you just crack me up!!!! Sounds like you just had a WONDERFUL evening. I know it had to be frustrating though. Enjoy your grandmother while you can. You will have fond and funny memories many years from now. Love, Michelle


Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by SewAndSnip
I knew you'd get the quilts started last night. For all of you who weren't there with my mother if that pillow could only have worked on me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mom


Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by 51050
I just have to laugh! I used to get sooo frustrated with my mom! I distinctly remember coming home and telling Ron that mom might not die a natural death!But you're really good to her and I'm sure she appreciates it. Smurf pee. Hmm. I've never had that but it sounds good! When my twins were born Ryan was second and was blue when he was born. The kids teased him about being a smurf 10 years or so later when the show was popular. Rhoda


Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by CountryQuilter
Okay do you ever stop with the funny stuff, you just tickle me to death...Your posts just crack me up. Love the fabric choices for the quilts. And as far as the shower curatin goes, I think it is a great idea. I saw one in a country home magazine once and always planned on making one when we finish the house.
Kristie


Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by Vesuviusmama
Your posts are so long and funny that I forget what you mention at the beginning and have to go back and read again. But about the shower curtain, my mother in law has a shower curtain that is printed to look like a quilt, and I love it and have been thinking of ways to make an actual quilted shower curtain. If you do it, and it works, please share!







Luggage? GPS? Comic books?
Check out fitting gifts for grads at Yahoo! Search.

No comments: