Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Block of the Month blocks and More

Today was a long day. I let the dog out in the morning and the air was bad so I came in and proceeded to breathe badly and do a lot of coughing for the next few hours. I worked on Laundry and tried to run the dishes through the dish washer. I think it might have given up the ghost. It doesn't seem to be cleaning. Things come out dirtier than they go in. I ended up doing two dish washer loads by hand and it took about an hour. Luckily my mom was coming for dinner so she helped me dry and put away.


Mike's pain was better today but his leg still looks really swollen. He got the notion that he wanted Pie. I had to run out to Bakers Square to get him a French Silk Pie. I tell you, the things I'll do. He then said I didn't have to get it. Oh no, not on my nursing shift. I don't need him telling people later I wasn't a good nurse!!


During the day I made my two block of the month blocks and I got my mom caught up on all of hers. Here's pictures of my progress:


My blocks




The Yellow, Black and Green block was by no means my favorite block to make. It seems simple enough but when it came time to assemble I had a hard time judging where the yellow and black squares were supposed to line up on the green and black diagonal rectangles. I think it would have been easier if the green and blacks were half square triangles instead. They Green, Maroon and Pink floral block went together quickly enough. At our block of the month meeting we were also talking that this block would make a really pretty quilt with the blocks all next to each other. It would look like ribbons.







Here are all the blocks I made for my mom:






The trade worked out well. I'd rather catch her up on 7 blocks than vacuum any day!!

Comments:


Thursday, July 5, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by CountryQuilter (69.176.34.182)
Love your blocks, I think the one with maroon and the center one in the top row of your moms are my favorites. I would love to have the pattern for those. I agree that one would make a beautiful quilt by itself. That is what I was thinking when I saw it. Great job!!! Kristie

Thursday, July 5, 2007 - WOW
Posted by born2quilt (69.243.84.230)
You really got alot done! I am impressed. I just want you to know I finally fiqured out how to post pics into my blog, thanks to you. I had to print out your directions and then go step by step. It took my a few hours because I my computer is slightly different from yours, but it worked. Check out my last posting, I was so excited I was able to figure it out. THANKS! STEPH

Thursday, July 5, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by CountryQuilter (69.176.34.161)
Jen, I don't mean to pick, but I think you sewed your strip backwards on the first block in the second row. I don't want you to think I am being rude, but thought you might not see it before it is put in the quilt. I made a basket quilt once and I didn't notice that I had sewn one of the handles wrong until after it was quilted. That was a mess trying to fix it then. So now, after I finish a top, I always make Richard and Andrew look to make sure nothing is wrong. Sometimes it helps to have a fresh set of eyes on a project. I have looked at several and then they find my mistake... ;o) This is the second time that I have been on here looking at these blocks, I love them all. And THANK YOU so much for the patterns for those two. That one looks really complicated. The Moda U block, I think I may make it pretty soon, well as soon as I decide on some fabric for it...I just started to ask you what size the block is but I just saw on the pattern sheet, 9 inches...Duhhhhhh!!! Kristie

Friday, July 6, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by Trina (172.131.80.191)
Your blocks are awesome!! I really really like the green and rose colored one!!! Haven't done any sewing the last few days.....too many 4th of July activities here, last ones are the big sidewalk sale tomorrow with prize drawings and then the turtle race Saturday. Also a picnic Sat. Gonna make Kristie's circle pie again, made it the other day and my oldest son ate most of it, what little I got was good though!!

No comments: