Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Blog Tips - Ever wonder what this RSS Stuff is all about?



Not too long ago I was curious about RSS. What is RSS you ask? Really Simple Syndication. If you want a full definition check out this LINK. Now I'll admit, I don't know much about this RSS stuff yet but what I do know I'm going to share.

Why would you want to use RSS? Well, as someone who writes a blog, I want my blog to be read. Using www.myquiltblog.com as an example, there are more and more bloggers every day. More bloggers means more traffic and more traffic means posts fly by on the main screen. If you miss a day, you truly miss a lot. Heck, on a weekend you can miss a few hours and miss many posts. Who wants to click on each one of their friends checking to see if there's been a new post? That in itself can take quite a bit of time. RSS enables you to save all of your "favorite" blogs to one place. You can choose to be notified or check a list to see which blogs are highlighted.

On our www.myquiltblog.com page RSS isn't completely activated. Have you ever seen this logo somewhere? It's the RSS Symbol. If it's lit up as orange then that web page has RSS available, if it's grayed out, RSS isn't available. In internet explorer you can then save a blog to your RSS folder. When there are new messages the blog title becomes bold. However, since our www.myquiltblog.com doesn't have RSS available automatically WE need to take some initiative here.

If you go to your own quiltblog page you'll see the bar down the Left side that lists your choices. It looks like this:

You're going to want to click on the one that says "Site Feed (RSS)" When it opens you'll see the above screen. Change your "Publish Site Feed?" to YES. Choose an amount of entries. I chose 20. For "Publish with HTML?" I chose HTML. Once you "SAVE CHANGES." Your RSS Web address will appear. Your best bet is to add this web address as a link on your PROFILE page. If we can click on your link, then we'll know your RSS Adress and that's half the battle.

Now that we've covered how to make www.myquiltblog.com active with RSS, what do those of us who want to read your blog need to do?

I was told about a website called www.bloglines.com. I have no affiliation, it's just what I started to use and it's free. I set up an account and then I started adding the RSS Addresses for the blogs I like. I don't have them emailed to me, but I go visit the BLOGLINES website. If a blog of mine is highlighted then there's something new to read. I can read it through the Bloglines website OR I can click on the link and the individual blog will open up. Opening it up lets me see everyone's pictures and leave comments.

I've got about 20 blogs listed on my Bloglines right now. Unfortunately there aren't any Quiltblog.com Blogs activated besides mine and my mom's. I have the link for my RSS Feed under my "Menu." I couldn't tell you how I got it there...it took some fancy HTML work that I don't know much about....which is why I suggest you just add it to you r Links under your "Profile."

So come on fellow Quiltbloggers...set up your RSS feed today!! (MY Gosh, I sound like an infomercial)

FYI on www.myquiltblog.com, all of our RSS feeds will look like this: http://www.myquiltblog.com/rss.php?u=Cre8tiveQuilter. You would just take my Cre8tiveQuilter out and insert your own log in ID. My mom's is http://www.myquiltblog.com/rss.php?u=Sewandsnip. See? The difference is only after the = sign.

Oh, and Michelle...this will make your computer trips shorter...unless of course you subscribe to every blog under the sun!!!

COMMENTS:
Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by CountryQuilter
You amaze me...I will do this in the morning, since I need to get off of the computer and finish the laundry. I just don't know how you figure all of this out...but thanks, because I had wondered why yours was like that...
Kristie


Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by luv2quilt
Well........I did the settings for the rss feeds, but I don't see the link on my page. I'm going to bed. Too tired to fight it. Sleep tight. Love, Michelle


Wednesday, August 1, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by jillquilts
Mine is done! The link is on my blog, too! What a great idea!


Wednesday, August 1, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by Anonymous
You also a computer genius , thanks , we're all learning so much from you .

Permanent Link

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by Vesuviusmama
I am all set up now, too! Great idea, Jen!


Wednesday, August 1, 2007 - Me too!
Posted by mamanance
So now my RSS feed shows up in my links and I have opened an account in Bloglines. Maybe this will help me keep up more easily with some of the Quiltbloggers whose entries disappear off the page before I've seen them.


Wednesday, August 1, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by SewAndSnip
HUH ????????? I guess this is just way over my head.
Cindy


Thursday, August 2, 2007 - RSS
Posted by terry4321
Well i did the rss thing but it doesn't show up in the links part, So I am a little lost on how to get that done, I did the first part but oh well, I guess at some point it will happen, You are very good at computer stuff and I'm glad you posted on how to do this for us! Thank you.




Building a website is a piece of cake.
Yahoo! Small Business gives you all the tools to get online.

No comments: