Friday, July 27, 2007

Decisions, Decisions


As you all know, I've been searching for a sewing table that my machine can drop down into so that I don't continue to strain my back, neck and shoulders. The table I saw at Frank's Sewing Center was made by a company called Tracey's Tables and looked something like this:

For the most part it's the same table that I was looking at but the one I was looking at wasn't as wide. The table itself is $390 and then to add the extra flip up sides it would be an additional $40 each and to get the plastic piece that goes around the machine is another $50. Sure, it would be nice to have the flip up piece in the back but really, I can move the couch and put another table in front of mine if I'm FMQ-ing a large quilt. I honestly can't see paying that for a table. I don't need that much table at this point in time. I sew in our living room and my set up is behind the couch. So I've been searching out other options including stalking Craig's List but so far have come up empty handed.

There's been talk on my Janome 6500 message board about a Janome Table that just came out that fits the Janome 6500 & 6600 Machines. It would work with my knee lift and I wouldn't need the separate plastic piec that goes around the machine. It's roughly the same size as the table I currently am sewing on but the benefit is it doesn't cost an arm and a leg and I would be sewing about 6-9 inches lower. I emailed my local shop to see if they can get the table and find out their price but I've yet to hear anything back at all. I'm disappointed that I haven't heard a word...even just to say it's being looked into. Meanwhile I started looking online at the stores recommended by the other people who have purchased it. I found it for $249 at a place called Ken's Sewing Center but they didn't list how much shipping would be. I saw that they also had an ebay auction running for it for $229 with shipping of $35. I tried another type of search and found yet another store that carried it but theirs was $299 and there was a link to click if you had seen it cheaper elsewhere. I clicked it, filled out their little form and within about 30 minutes they sent me an email saying that they'd match the $229 price AND throw in free shipping. So now it's decision time. I could swallow paying $229 for a table. But, do I buy a table based on the recommendations of a few people without seeing it in person?

Then Mike and I went back to the idea of him modifying a table for me. I guess I thought he owned the right type of saw and he doesn't. I know Mike being Mike would want to use his own if he were going to use one so as he pointed out by the time we'd be done buying tools it would be a pretty expensive table. I toyed with the idea of asking my dad but that could take years to finish and really, my back doesn't have years.

So, it's decision time. My coupon expires in about 36 hours. The thing is, I don't need a "special" table, other than having it low enough and the machine recessed which is what this would give me. What do you guys think?


COMMENTS:
Thursday, June 28, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by Anonymous (12.205.65.222)
Ok Jen, you KNOW what you paid for your 6600. Now think about this price. You know, how you have wanted something to make your sewing life easier. You know, you will be happy you made this investment after the fact, so JUST DO IT!.
I don't think you will be sorry. And..........your back and body will thank you too.
Think of the money you'll save on pain remedies! Michelle =-)


Thursday, June 28, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by 51050 (24.176.0.71)
I guess it depends on how fussy you are, but if you really hate it you can sell it on Ebay! Since the height is the most important feature, I'd go for it! Rhoda


Thursday, June 28, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by bobbinhead (65.31.225.153)
Jen,
Is the bottom picture the table for the 6600? I also have the same machine and would it recessed. My problem isn't so much the height (I have an adjustable chair) but the stupid extension tray. The table looks like it would fit my tiny sewing section and is wide enough for actual usage.


Thursday, June 28, 2007 - Go For IT!
Posted by MoneikQuilts (209.159.204.1)
Go for it and let me know what you think. I'm interested to know if it's the solution for me. I've been looking at Horn cabinets (that's what my dealer sells) and they are pricey. I have a table my grandpa built me, but I sure would like one that is recessed. I hear you on the dad never getting around to it. That's the way my dad is too. My boyfriend could probably do it, but he's super busy at work right now. Good luck making your decision.


Thursday, June 28, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by CountryQuilter (69.176.34.221)
I sew at my kitchen table, but when the house is finished, I won't think twice about buying a new table.
Kristie




Got a little couch potato?
Check out fun summer activities for kids.

No comments: