Monday, July 30, 2007

A Fantastic Snail Mail Day!!




Tonight I went to get the mail and in it I found not ONE but TWO surprises. I was so unbelievably shocked! I received such a pretty post card from Kristie, I feel honored that I was her first post card!

Here, I thought when she told us about it that she was sending it to her mom! I LOVE the Crazy Quilt on the front with the decorative stitches. Maybe I should steal this idea for my Christmas cards!! Or, maybe I should scrap the Christmas card idea all together and pick a different holiday where people wouldn't expect cards. Turkey Day? I mean it IS after all my favorite Holiday.

I used to send Christmas cards every year…loads and loads of them. I don't know what it is, but when the cost of postage is higher than the cost of your Christmas card, I see it as a problem. Maybe I'm just used to being able to buy inexpensive Christmas Cards. We have a Lang outlet here. You can buy their nice, thick, matte finish, boxed Christmas cards year round for a spectacular deal. I don't remember just how much they are, but I want to say it's something like 2 boxes for either $10 or $12 dollars. I usually stock up on open stock cards too because they run sales that are usually 4 or 5 cards for $1. They're such nice cards. Funny Hallmark they're not, but they're quality, pretty cards. Yet, I have a stock pile of them and hardly ever put a card in the mail. Yet, on the other hand I find Fabric Post Cards well worth the postage because they're so cool and typically so unexpected. As my cousin Tracey said upon receiving one of my Watermelon post cards, "Most people just pick up the phone when they're thinking of someone; you go all Martha Stewart and create a fabric post card that probably took a few hours to make." Ok, she's way off on the "few hours" remark BUT she's not off on the fact that I'd rather chat with someone in person instead of on the phone.

The second surprise was from my friend Michelle. She had sent me an email the other day about a package and that I had to pull the tab, not open it with a knife. I get the box and notice it's heavy and think, "What did she send?" What do I do? Not go for the tab but just start ripping into the box. At least I didn't use a knife so all was safe but I thought of her warning the minute I was ripping cardboard chunks off of the box. Giggle. On the inside of the box I could see brightly colored fabric just dying to come out. She made me two things. One was a quilted garbage bag that hangs from my glove compartment. VERY CLEVER!

I emailed her pictures…which I WILL NOT show here but my mom and Michelle can both attest to…my car usually looks like a bomb went off. There are always empty water bottles or soda cups. There's always a fast food bag or two from when I eat on the go, or power bar wrappers when I don't have time to stop for dinner. So if anyone ever needed a garbage bag for their car it's me. This reminds me of a story…

My Grandpa used to re-upholster furniture so he would make other things out of the remnants. Garbage bags for cars were one of those items. My Grandpa and my Dad were filling up my Grandpa's truck once and Grandpa asked my Dad if he'd throw out the garbage. My Dad not knowing…threw out the garbage AND the bag because to him it didn't look like much. Of course my Grandpa had to tell my mom what he'd done as well as everyone else in the whole family. So, when I read Michelle's note about making sure not to throw out the garbage bag, I just about died laughing!!

She also made me a garbage bag for next to my sewing machine. The top has sand in it so it holds it onto the table AND doubles as a pin cushion. It's awesome! Since I got my new table I lost some of my space to the right of my machine so this is PERFECT!

Such an exciting day at the mail box!! I feel So LOVED!!

COMMENTS:
Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by luv2quilt
You are loved, Jen! Who could NOT love you? You are full of energy and spunk, and you are so good to people. I do wish though, that you would bottle up some of your energy and send some my way. I'd even pay postage!!!!

I love your fabric postcard. How ironic it has the same design as your litter bag!

Cindy, Uh, I mean, Peony, you did a fantastic job bringing up that little girl of yours! You should be proud!

Michelle


Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by CountryQuilter
I'm so glad that you got it. I was hoping that it wouldn't fall apart before you got it. Since it was the first one that I had made, I wasn't sure. I love your gifts from Michelle, they are so cute. I could use the trash bag, with 2 kids, my car can get messy.
Kristie


Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by 51050
What neat ideas - very cute too! I can see that it was a wonderful day for you. Rhoda


Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by lori
Wow what a great surprise I've been wanting to make a thread catcher for ages but never got around to it .Thanks for sharing its gets us all motivated


Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by jillquilts
Awesome! Those are just awesome! I am jealous! I just got a pattern to make myself a sewing garbage bag, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. What great colors!

Jen - I was wondering when we could expect posts from you again! Glad you survived the massive quilting weekend!


Wednesday, August 1, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by cowgirl4ever
know the feeling on that one.. I just cleaned out my car last weekend and there are already water bottles all over the passenger side floor. You know what else ends up there? Junk mail.. because I usually pick up mail on my way out the door to work.

Heather



No comments: