Friday, July 20, 2007

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (No spoilers)



The day started off just like any other day except that it was the big release of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows!!!!! Woooo hooooo!!!! This was to be our third Harry Potter midnight release party.

Two years ago when we went to Barns & Noble for our reserved copies we learned that you could come early in the day for your numbered ticket so we asked about it this time and decided that we needed to run during the middle of the day. I only get 30 minutes for lunch so it was going to be cutting it close, my Husband on the other hand gets 60 minutes but has no interest in Harry Potter or a midnight release. Luckily he offered to go and get our wrist bands, saying that I now "Owe Him." When he picked them up he was told that there was going to be a cap of 900 people allowed into the store, that the party started at 7 and they anticipated closing the doors by 7:30. I panicked.

My original plan was to go to the Brewers Game with Mike and meet my mom at the store around 9:30-10. The previous two times my mom and I didn't even leave the house until 10! I realized immediately that I wasn't going to be able to do both. The books were listed under my name so if my mom was on the inside and I'd get stuck outside we'd have problems. Mike ended up going to the game alone and Mom and I left the house at 5:30.

We stopped at Speedway to stock up on provisions…junk food is a must for an event like this. Skittles, M&M's, Chex Mix, Grandma's Oatmeal Raisin Cookies, Coke Zero & Gum. Then we drove though the Wendy's Drive-Thru because they were on our way to the book store. I don't eat at Wendy's very often so their menu isn't really familiar to me. I got side tracked with shock at a burger called the "Bacon-ator" that I lost my train of thought on what I really wanted to order…just a cheeseburger with ketchup. I ended up with a burger that had Mayo on it…ewwww. So we pass through and my mom says, "Look, there's a patch of shade in the parking lot why don't we pull under it and eat?" "No, "I say, "We're on our way to make sure we get in…we can eat when we get there!!"

We pull into the mall parking lot and don't see a line so I park the car and in we go. It's 5:45 at this point. 6 hours and 15 minutes to go. We're in…whew!! We take our dinners in and find a place to sit and eat. We end up in the foreign language section. My mom keeps seeing all these books that she'd like to read and I keep telling her they're not in English. We finish eating and head downstairs. We come across two unoccupied chairs and feel we've hit the jackpot. It's really no wonder they weren't occupied!! Talk about uncomfortable!! YIKES! However, we are right by the elevator and I suggest that we pop them in the elevator and take them upstairs. In the end though, we decide we don't want to sit in them for the next 6 hours. I head over to the magazine department and proceed to pull one of every Quilting magazine. I think there were between 25-30 and my mom looks at me like I'm insane. Ok, we DO HAVE 6 HOURS TO FLIP THROUGH THEM!! We find a spot to sit in and camp out on the floor. We're in a corner pretty far back away from all of the excitement but decide that is ok.

I'm now content because I could hang out in a book store all day and not get bored. It's just the sitting on the floor with no cushion that's a little uncomfortable. We should have taken our chairs that fit in the bag! Some people had sleeping bags so I can't imagine they would have had a problem with them. I proceed to flip through all the quilt magazines, writing down random tips, sketching out quilts that I like and taking a few pictures of pages for ideas. In the end, I purchase two magazines.

My mom decides it's time to bring out her yo-yo's to work on so I do the same. I'm whipping through mine and she's struggling. Yes, hers are larger but I just couldn't figure out what the problem was and I'm trying to check it out without looking directly at her and making her nervous. Finally I figure it out. She's not folding over the lip of the fabric, just going up and down in a circle. I let her know and then she blames me for not teaching her right. SIGH. So we're whipping away on our Yo-Yo's when my mom starts telling me this funny story about her old boss. Holy Crap…who walks around the corner but her old boss. Now the two of us are looking at each other trying to figure out if she heard us or not. We decide she must not have because she sits down and starts talking with us and now is camped out for the rest of the night.

I need to point out that between the wall and the next aisle of books is maybe 6 feet wide. Everyone is pretty much camping out in different aisles. We now have a group of 6 to our right tucked into a corner, there's the 3 of us and then this mother and 7-8 year old sitting across from us. He sits down with a giant chocolate muffin and proceeds to leave it in the small area in the middle of the aisle and people are walking over it for about 2 hours. I was just fascinated that they were so oblivious.

At this point I decide to go grab all of the quilt books that look interesting. Holy cow…there had to have been way more than 900 people in that store. By now it's about 10pm and time for me is flying. Our butt cheeks are numb but we're content. The groups of kids to our left were probably around 14-15 years old….talk about funny. They played the Telephone game for about an hour. Pretty entertaining stuff! They were in that age where the first statement started out dirty and got dirtier by the time it got to the end. They found a copy of the Kama Sutra and it was fun to watch how embarrassed they all were as they were passing the book around. They finally decided that they just shouldn't be looking at it. Now THAT was amusing!!

The book case we were sitting against had a lot of "Fun fact" type books in it. After staring at a title all evening I pulled one down called, "The 10 famous people who died during sex." It was a book of these off the wall statements and lists of people that fit each one. Out of those 10 who died during sex, one was a Pope and the other a Cardinal. Huh, the higher-ups really not setting a good example for their law of celibacy were they? A list of famous people who had syphilis. A few lists later was a list of Famous Diseases that were actually mis-diagnosed. Turns out, leprosy was actually syphilis…so back to the other page to giggle even more. Bill Clinton was not the only president to have affairs while in office. There were 9 others with pretty big lists. Turns out, George Washington died of pneumonia. How did he contract it? Jumping out of a window during winter without his clothes on while trying to get out of a woman's house whose husband had just come home. Honestly, I need to own a copy of this book. It's just too funny not to own.

We managed to get Glow in the Dark Harry Potter Glasses from the group of kids next to us.

It was then time for us to line up by color group. From 11 until midnight we stood in these little groups of about 50 people. I picked up a book from the Sisterhood of the Traveling pants series because we were now held up in the "teens" section. I was just skimming it and I managed to get within the last 10 pages of the book by the time we checked out.

By 12:45AM we were out of the store and in our car. We were then able to see the huge line outside. The line was probably the length of a football field, if not longer and at least 8-10 people deep. I was impressed. The parking lot on that side of the mall was packed as if it were Christmas shopping season.

When we got home I went to bed with my book, book light, Harry Potter book mark and my glow in the dark glasses on my face and read the first 100 pages before falling asleep.

I had my camera with me but I didn't take a single picture. =(


COMMENTS:
Monday, July 23, 2007 - Harry Potter
Posted by anna
Isn't Harry Potter great! I didn't go to the midnight release party, but the next morning I was waiting in line for the store to open. My birthday was the 20th and I hinted heavely to my dad when the release date was. I've just now finished the book. Now I can get on with my life.


Monday, July 23, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by CountryQuilter
Wow, it sounds like you had a great time. I love going to book stores, you always find some very interesting subjects...
Kristie





No comments: