Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Mike's Varicose Vein Surgery

Well, We got up at the crack of dawn. 5am. Some vacation day...


Mike did let me take a before picture. His veins only look like this on one leg, not the other. Vericose vein's are genetic. His mom has them pretty bad. Had her veins stripped years ago and then done with the laser a few years back. Mike had this done through the same doctor.





The doctor had booked the operating room for 2-1/2 hours. Mike's procedure took 3-1/2 hours. I was starting to freak out.


While we waited for him to go into surgery I worked on some yo-yo's. I bet it was about 2 hours that we were in the room before he actually went. I'm still trying to figure out why we had to be there so early. After he went I managed to sleep for about an hour and when I woke up I was freezing. I covered with the paper thin hospital "bathrobe" that he had left behind. After my nap I started reading the book, "Lover's Knot" by Emilie Richards. When he finally came back to the room I played with my yo-yo's again. I try not to read around Mike because he feels like I'm doing it to ignore him. That's not the case at all. I just LOVE to read. We waited in recovery for about two hours. It was his nurses last day so she asked if she could go to lunch before releasing him. She was a sweet lady so we just hung out. It's a good thing we did because right as we were leaving his doctor sent up orders for him to have a shot of Levonox which is a blood thinner and then was told to take 325mg of asprin daily to keep his blood thin.


Even after all of this my silly husband wanted to go to Noodles and Company for lunch. Or, Noodles or Us as my mom calls it. He's able to walk on his leg but he's just walking with his tip toe. I wanted to pull out my crutches for him but he's not sure where he stashed them in the garage so I let it be.


We got home and my table had been delivered by UPS. I quickly set it up because I was so excited. I'll post more on that in a separate post.


The pain really hit him around 5pm. I had just gotten back from filling his prescriptions and doing some grocery shopping so it was a good thing. He first took 1 of his pain pills and then he just looked miserable so I told him I thought it was best to take the second one and head it off while he could.


I decided to be nice (I'm so NOT good at being a nurse where Mike's concerned so I'm trying really hard) and make him his favorite meal for dinner. I made my famous lasagna. It's one of 2 things that I make that involve "family secret recipes." I then heard from my mom that my Grandma was spending the night so that meant both of them were coming to dinner. So here I am, running between Mike and the kitchen trying to make this dinner and then things just started falling apart. I managed to clog the toilet and it overflowed. Next thing I know I was throwing out my two bathroom rugs (They were old and the backs were cracking. They would not have withstood another washing), mopping the floor and then while I was at it I cleaned the toilet, sink and mirror. Back in the kitchen I reached up into the cabinet above the stove and an OveGlove fell directly into my sauce. I just plopped it into another kettle that I was done with. I didn't have time to deal with it right then and there.


In the end, dinner was a success but Mike began to feel nauceous. I felt soooo bad for him. Mom and Grandma stayed for a while and when they left I blew up my air mattress for Holly and I to sleep in the living room on the floor. We decided to give Mike the bed to himself because I knew Holly would end up hitting his leg in the middle of the night. She's soooo much a bed hog dog it's not even funny. She's always slept on our bed. I would have felt horrible locking her out so I slept in the living room with her. In the end, we think she feels that I hurt Mike and was mad at me. She laid against the gate all night hoping to catch a glimpse at Mike.

Comments:
Thursday, July 5, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by Anonymous (12.205.65.49)
Oh Jen, you are too funny! Sounds like something that would happen to me. I'm glad Mike is ok, and all turned out well. So how was the lasagna? I bet it was great, with a little taste of 'ov'glove'. I missed all your posts while you were busy. Glad you are back. Take care....Michelle

Thursday, July 5, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by CountryQuilter (69.176.33.31)
"So when it rains it pours" I hate days like that when everything goes wrong. Glad he is okay. Kristie

Thursday, July 5, 2007 - NURSE STEPHANIE HERE
Posted by born2quilt (69.243.84.230)
Even though I am nurse, that looks awful! UGH! I tell everyone I only do babies, no adults. I am a good caregiver but that looks painful It looks like it really bothered him pre-op. I hope he improves quickly. Oh, I have a table too, so I know you will love it! Stephanie

No comments: