Monday, July 30, 2007

Monday, July 30, 2007 - The Pink & Purple Yellow Brick Road is Quilted!!


I just finished stippling the Purple & Pink, Yellow Brick Road. It looks great but I felt like it took me a lifetime to quilt. My mom thinks it took the same amount of time as the other two. I went through quite a few more bobbins though so I don't see how that could be. I used a purple/pink variegated thread by Star that was way purpler than it was pink. Had I realized this before hand I would have put a pink border on instead of the purple one I chose. The thread blended into the border fabric so much that it made it really hard to see where I had been and where I was going. I crossed my quilting over so many times it's not even funny. I sent that and the Blue one home with my mom. She'll remove its basting tacks and put the bindings on both. Unfortunately since I still have the giant Log Cabin quilt I don't even feel like I'm halfway through my insane stippling marathon.

I started on the log cabin. I used low loft polyester batting just so it would be lighter weight to quilt. Ughh, it's still heavy!! I'll never again quilt another quilt this large on my machine unless it's just stitch in the ditch or decorative borders. I now have a card table in front of my sewing machine table, I'm utilizing my cutting table next to my machine table and I just had to add a TV Tray to my right to help with the overflow that falls off my lap. I'm stippling the borders for this one too so; since I've started at the borders for all of the other quilts I thought I could do the same for this monster. Not so my friends, not so. The poly batting makes quilting the edges a bit slippery so I decided to start dead center in a seam. I hope to hook up with that starting point again later on. I'm trying to go block by block before I move onto another section just so I can better keep track of where I've been and where I need to go. It's really taking its toll on my shoulders and I haven't even put that many hours into it yet.

This log cabin quilt was made in 2000. I had just learned to quilt the previous summer. Let's just say it's a good thing that I'm stippling it or it might have just self destructed had I just stitched in the ditch along the blocks. The seams just aren't that great. I should have used a much tighter stitch length. Of course, at that time I didn't even know there were different stitch lengths. So when the quilt moves I can tell that it's putting SOOOO much stress on the seams. The stippling although a pain is a good choice. I'll just be happy when this particular quilt is done and out of my home. It's bittersweet, but I know it will be going to an excellent home.

It's funny; Mike was looking at the log cabin and mentioned that he didn't realize that when I put that quilt away that it was so far along. Not only was the top done but originally I even had backing with it that got used elsewhere when I proclaimed that it would be a "cold day in hell" before it ever got finished. The binding strips were sewn together and ironed in half as well but I've since used that binding on other quilts, years ago already.

I think I got through about 6 of the 36 blocks before I gave up for the night.

COMMENTS:
Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by CountryQuilter
I just don't see how you do all of this. I hope she realizes how much time and energy that you have put into these. And I also have a few of my first quilts that don't look so hot in the seams.
Kristie


Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by lori
Can't wait to see it but I understand what you mean about your shoulders , I could use a message about now ,Where do you find the time with working all day .



No comments: