Saturday, July 7, 2007

My Priority: Alzheimer's Quilt - In Progress

I've been working for about the last 3 hours on my Alzheimer's Quilt. I started with this picture that I shot a few years ago.





I sized the picture to the size I wanted it and then I printed my picture onto a piece of muslin that I had ironed onto freezer paper. Once I printed it, I put a piece of heat and bond through the printer and I printed the puzzle pieces onto that. After removing the Picture from the Freezer Paper I lined it up and ironed it onto the Heat and Bond. I then cut out all of the little pieces and ironed them onto the background.





Then I satin stitched it.





Now I'm considering doing a little thread painting on it. But, I've never thread painted!! I think I could do most of what I want to do with a regular foot and the feed dogs up instead of dropping the feed dogs and using a darning foot. I don't think I'm ready to do something like that. Before I try the thread painting, what do you guys think? Is it good the way it is or should I add to it? Other than what's on it right now it would just get binding and be done.


So, until I get some responses I'm going to do a little quilting on my pineapple quilt and move on to my fabric post cards.


Oh, I also need an idea for a name. Mike's Grandma died recently, she also had Alzheimer's so I was thinking maybe I could work her name into the title somehow? Her name was Audrey.


I wonder if they let you know when your quilt goes up for auction or if you need to keep watching for it?

Comments:


Saturday, July 7, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by CountryQuilter (69.176.34.97)
I think it would be perfect just like it is and to add Audrey in the name somehow. I have never seen anything like this, it is amazing. I can't wait to show this to my mom when she comes back in, she will love it. Kristie

Saturday, July 7, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by SewAndSnip (64.12.116.10)
Jen that is just georgeous. I am so proud of you and the way that you quilt. Definetly it should be named after Mike's Grandma. Maybe something like Audrey's FLower. Mom

Saturday, July 7, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by lori (24.215.52.160)
Well aren't you a smarty ,its beautiful and how thoughtful of you to want include Mikes moms name .My Dad also had this dreadful disease ,it's really hard on the family .

Saturday, July 7, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by Anonymous (12.205.65.222)
Hi Jen, I swear, you have more ideas than Carters' got pills---oh, I bet you never heard that expression before. Ask your mom. I bet she'll know what I'm talking about! Your quilt is beautiful. You really do nice work. I don't think I've ever met anyone who loves to quilt as much as you do. Seems you are trying new things all the time. I might just learn something here! You could name your quilt 'Audrey Violet'--Rememberance of Love Michelle

Saturday, July 7, 2007 - Thread painting?
Posted by mamanance (24.127.100.247)
Not sure what you mean by that. I really like the simplicity of it right now. It is a great idea to express the way Alzheimer's affects people. My mother-in-law has it - she still knows us but can't always remember our kids' names. She is still lives with one of her daughters and the other one stays with her several hours a day. Even that is not enough, but is the best they can do since the daughter she lives with promised her that she would never put her in a nursing home.

Saturday, July 7, 2007 - Your Priority: Alzheimer's Quilt
Posted by Anonymous (64.12.116.10)
Can't wait to see this quilt in person! What a fabulous idea! Thank you so much for supporting the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative with you talent and with you heart. In answer to your question....yes, and no. I try to email the artists to let them know when their quilts are up for auction, but this month I forgot. So, it's best to check the web site on the 1st of every month. Auctions run from the 1st to the 10th. Again, thanks for your support. We're just about at $75,000 donated to research. Ami Simms

Sunday, July 8, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by Anonymous (72.131.16.122)
Hi Jen, Diane here! I have to say, that quilt turned out so beautiful...what a genius idea. You amaze me! I remember that photo...it's a pansy, right? Maybe "Audrey's Pansy Remembered"? That's all I got. :-)

No comments: