Wednesday, July 4, 2007

My Sewing "Room"

My table came and it's wonderful!! I love it, I love it, I love it!!! It was so simple to put together. I think it was meant for women to be able to put together themselves. It didn't even have an instruction booklet, just step by step diagrams on the back of the box. I bet I had it put together in under 30 minutes. It's nice and sturdy. The table itself is 46 pounds. My machine is 26 pounds so between the two it's not going anywhere. It vibrates slightly when I go mach 10 but it's comparable to my previous wooden computer desk. It's taking some getting used to sewing so low but my shoulders haven't hurt yet!! Since I was taking pictures I thought I'd show you my sewing "room" at the same time. I sew in our living room. Our couch acts as the area divider. I really like this because I can be a part of what's going on in the house. I can have TV on while I'm sewing or tune it out if Mike's watching something I'm not interested in.


Here's my table, in between sewing a few blocks. I really love how flush the machine bed is with the table top. It didn't require any adjusting.



Here's a shot of the table from the top without the machine in it.




Here's the aftermath - the mess of putting the table together.




It was thundering the other night while I was sewing. Every time I turned around Holly was laying underneath my table. That's her "thing" to do when she's scared. If it's not under my sewing table, it's under the desk in our office or in the bathroom.




The whole under the table thing drives me quite nutty. But under the sewing table makes me insane. As you can see, my control pedal is missing because it's under her ribs. She did a little "free motion" quilting on her own.


Here's the side view of my sewing area. To the front left is Holly's kennel. I typically have whatever quilt I have basted sitting on top of it. Ok, wait, I just realized the picture doesn't even show her kennel. The table against the wall is my previous sewing table. Don't get me wrong, I loved the table it was just too high for my back and shoulders to deal with. It's actually a computer table that I picked up at Target for $99. It has two drawers and a sliding keyboard drawer in the center. The side drawers were perfect for notions, the center keyboard drawer is perfect to store my rulers in. I'm now using that table as my ironing and cutting station. The table that I used to have as my ironing station was the same style but it was much more narrow. I now have that against the wall in our dining area. I have one Ott Lite on each side of my sewing table. The quilt on my rack is one of my all time favorites. It's a triple irish chain that's made with purple, blue and teal marbles and then the same three colors of Kokopellis on black. I bought all the fabrics when I was in Arizona about 5 years ago. Underneath the cutting table I have a small shelving unit that holds a few bins for patterns and extra fabrics. I also have a shopping bag that holds things like freezer paper, my roll of Heat and Bond, my quilt block roll-ups and things of that nature.


On my table I also have a cup holder attached. It's made by Creative Memories and it's called the Side-Kick. It's great to not have to worry about spilling. This is a must have item for me. I like it so much I also have one on our computer desk (Mike spilled a soda on my laptop years back and killed it) and I have another one at my mom's for my sewing table there.




The front view shows the "divider" couch. I have three "iris" carts that hold sewing and scrapbooking items. I have my thread hanging on the closet door. These pouches are similar to the over the door shoe holders but made with much smaller and many, many more pockets. I used to use them for rubber stamps and decorative paper punches but since sewing is center stage these days, thread is what's in the pockets now! This time last year I didn't have much thread. I can't believe how much I've accumulated and I still never have the right color!! As you can see then, to the left is Holly's kennel. I usually keep whatever basted quilt I'm working on up there.





And there you have it. There's your tour of my sewing "room."

I've really got to say, I love SewingInUSA. I ordered my table on Thursday around noon. It shipped Thursday by 4pm and I had it by the following Tuesday. They were quick in responding to my questions, they not only met but beat a competitors price and they offered free shipping on a 46 pound table. I really can't say enough good things about them. I'll definately be doing more business with them in the future. I'm a very happy and satisfied customer.

Comments:


Thursday, July 5, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by Trina (172.163.56.231)
So glad your table came so quickly!!! I didn't know you scrapbooked too....I do too!! I use to sell Creative Memories, but the monthly minimum was tooooo high, so I let it go, but I still have tons of stuff from them!!

Thursday, July 5, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by sewsue (168.209.98.42)
Love the table, your sewing room and it is great that the TV room is combined.Your dog looks just like ours, her name is Bella and she is 3 years old. Very naughty but loving dog. I have a sewingroom in the one bedroom as we have no more kids around here and we have a flat for guests. The computer is also in here. I have double cupboards for all my sewing things, books. Even though I have so much space I still seem to have too many fabric and things on the desk. I have used my old cot (for babies to sleep in) and put a door panel ontop and it is lovely to work at. I have another table with my sewing machine, iron and I put it on bricks (the easiest idea I could think of) for a bit more height. I am a very tall person. Need lots of leg space.

Thursday, July 5, 2007 - Sewing Room
Posted by MoneikQuilts (209.159.204.1)
I love your sewing "room". The space works well for you. How tall is your new table? I've been looking for a new one, but don't really know what height is appropriate. I lugged my machine out to the pickup this morning to take to class, so I have a nice clean sewing room.

Thursday, July 5, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by bobbinhead (65.31.225.153)
Jen, I'm convinced. As soon as I have the money saved I'm getting one.

Thursday, July 5, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by CountryQuilter (69.176.35.40)
Love your new table! Your sewing area is very nice, seems like you have everything right were you need it. I sew at my kitchen table, usually we just eat watching tv or at the bar. So my table is always covered. I store all of my extra stuff in the bedroom in the closet. When we get the house finished, I will have my own room just for me and my sewing. It will measure 20x20, so I really can't wait for that. Kristie

No comments: