Saturday, July 28, 2007

Scrap-Fest



My local quilt store, The Patched Works is having a "Scrap-Fest" on Saturday.

What is Scrap Fest you ask?

Scrap Fest is the opportunity for you scrapaholics to pick and choose materials for personalized scrap bags. Bolt ends, sample leftovers, and dismembered kits will be heaped onto tables and bins. You will receive a special bag(s) to fill to your hearts content. When you are done, we will weigh your finds. First quality prints, batiks and flannels will be available on a first come first serve basis. Sizes range from small scraps to ???. ALL FABRIC will be out at 10 AM Saturday morning.

Fat quarters, kits and regularly cut fabric are excluded from the bonanza.

1 ounce minimum/no maximum - $1.50 per ounce.

So, me being me decided to weigh some fabric. Amazing how I HATED math when I was a kid. I was that kid who always went up to the poster that showed different types of math and what professions they were used in and say, "See, I'll never need to know this." I can't believe I'm about to admit this but really, what can my mom say at this point? If it wern't for my friend Barry feeling bad for me during Algebra 2 and giving me the answers, I never would have passed. I could get help for hours and I JUST DIDN'T GET IT. By the time we got to Physics Senior year, I ended up in Barry's class and he looked at me and said, "I don't think you're going to make it through Physics...why don't you just drop the class." And, I did. We all knew I didn't get math...why force it?

Anywho, went off on a tangent there. I now dig quilting math. I brought out my Weight Watchers Food Scale because heck, I'm not exactly weighing food these days and pulled out some fabric.

A Fat Quarter is between 1.0 ounce and 1.5 ounces. -OR- Between $1.50 & $2.25

1 Yard is about 5.7 ounces -Or- $8.55

1-1/3 Yard is 7.3 ounces -Or- $10.95

I think the concept of Scrap Fest is great. I would put money on the notion that I'm probably the only one nuts enough to think about weighing fabric before hand and actually doing so and figuring things out so in all reality it's fantastic marketing. I'm sure I'll go and check things out anyway just because I'm bound to have an experience to rival my Fat Quarter Frenzy experience!!



COMMENTS:
Thursday, June 28, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by Trina (172.132.0.47)
I just read your Fat Quarter Frenzy experience.....too funny!!!


Thursday, June 28, 2007 - Way too much fun!
Posted by MoneikQuilts (209.159.204.1)
Wow, that sounds like a lot of fun. I'm hoping to make it to three fabric stores on Sat. when we go to the family reunion. So much fabric, so little time!


Thursday, June 28, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by CountryQuilter (69.176.34.221)
Well, that sounds fun, but I have to say that sounds a little high to me. Which I think Fabric around here is alot cheaper. There is a place to buy Moda for 3.99 yd, and I am a very cheap person. Let us all know how it goes...
Kristie





No comments: