Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Strip Poker Night!

Tonight my Mom, Grandma, our friend Maureen and I all met at Baker’s Square to have dinner before Strip Poker. We had a lot of fun! Maureen brought her Alzheimer’s Quilt to show me. It’s awesome!! Even if we are the only two that end up making these quilts, we can say WE did it and have no regrets! She was busy hand sewing the binding as we got to the restaurant. From there we went to the Patched Works for Strip Poker to find that it was just the four of us and Julie; the shops owner. What a riot that was! We laughed much harder than normal.

I’m happy to report that my Grandma did very well playing Strip Poker. She was unsure of how she’d do – she has Macular Degeneration so seeing well enough to play was her big concern – but it turns out she had no problem at all and caught onto the game very quickly. I think we’ll have to forward the game rules to the rest of our family. We can always start playing with pennies or something so that there’s another card game Grandma can play to help pass the time.

Julie has now owned her shop for 1 year. When she first took over there was a rumor circulating that she “wasn’t even a quilter.” I didn’t believe it right from the start because we took a class from her – she taught my mom and I how to paper piece and she was SOOO at ease with teaching. In my mind there was no way she was a newbie! Anyway, it came up last night. She asked us where we had heard the rumor and then she put two and two together. Turns out, what was implied by “not a quilter” really meant “starts a lot of quilts but doesn’t get around to quilting them.” Sigh…it just goes to show it’s not just kids who play the “telephone game” and start with one phrase and end up with something totally different…adults do it too!!

Afterwards we decided that the only way to end the night was to go back to Baker’s Square for Pie. Mom, Grandma and I had Triple Berry and Maureen had French Silk. YUMMY! I even text messaged Mike to see if “Pie Boy” himself wanted me to bring him home a slice and he said he was “all pied out.”

Maureen didn’t think she was a “big winner” until she got home and counted her strips. I think she was up about 40 strips and I was down about 40 strips. I’m not sure how my Mom and Grandma made out because they were both drawing from the same pool.



Comments:

Thursday, July 12, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by MoneikQuilts (209.159.204.1)
I think you need to post the rules here. I was telling my mom that you were going and she thought it sounded like a riot, but we're both wondering how it works. Sounds like a fun time was had by all!


Thursday, July 12, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by Cre8tiveQuilter (69.216.24.194)
Actually, the rules are in my archives:


Thursday, July 12, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by CountryQuilter (69.176.33.28)
Sounds like you guys had so much fun. I always love hearing about it. I'm sure it was a blast with your grandma there. Kristie


Thursday, July 12, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by cowgirl4ever (138.162.140.44)
It sounds like you ladies have so much fun. I wish that I had a group to go to things like that with. I have friends at the quilt shop but not ones that I can call on a fridauy night or saterday and say hey lets get together and do some sewing. Some day though I will find that.

No comments: