Saturday, July 21, 2007

A Very Sewful Saturday


First of all, a Proclamation….I'm going to say it out loud. I will NOT post any Harry Potter Spoilers in my posts. I'd be delighted to discuss the book with anyone and everyone but it will have to be through email because I don't want to ruin anything for those still reading.

This morning started out rough. I got up late because I was so busy reading my HP book until about 2:30AM. My mom was supposed to pick me up at 8:30AM for our Block of the Month group. Well…I called her at 8:30 to say I was running late and how about 8:45? She was already in the car and ready to go so she agreed to go pick us up breakfast while I finished up.

Off we went to BOM at Bits & Pieces. This month's block will be easy. It's all ¼ square triangles of only two colors. We'll be able to whip that one up in no time. I'll print up the ¼ square triangulation sheets for my mom and I and we'll go to town. When we got there, Kelly was cutting up some more fat quarters for their weekend fat quarter sale. Ironically they were the same off white that I purchased the weekend before for my Ocean Waves quilt. I told her not to bother rolling them up all pretty because I was going to buy whatever she had there that was cut just to make sure I had enough. I think it was an additional 8 fat quarters/2 yards. I also bought some funky monkey fabric. I'm not sure what I'll do with it yet. Definitely a new bandana for Holly. Either a pillow case or a tote bag for me. I think that was my lowest dollar amount I've ever spent there! One of the ladies in my BOM group asked me if I'd make her a Sassy Purse because she really liked mine. She bought her three fat quarters and I'll get it made sometime this month so I can give it to her next time I see her. As we were ready to leave, Marla the owner of Bits & Pieces was setting up a quilt on their big long arm machine. There my mom and I were, just about crawling up her a$$ checking this whole thing out. It's so cool to see working in person. There's a lot more involved than I thought. I guess I figured you set it up on the computer and hit "go." You actually sit there and watch it the whole time so that if a part of the quilt isn't completely straight you can straighten it out before it starts to quilt the area. I guess by straight I mean something area that got distorted while you were sewing and wouldn't lay flat on its own.

Next thing we knew it was 10:30 and my mom had to pick up my Grandma and go for a hair cut by 11 on the other side of town. Originally I was going to get dropped off at home before their hair cuts so I could get all of my sewing supplies together to go to my Aunt Kitty's but with the time crunch I had to go along. I ended up working on my mom's Yo-Yo's while I waited and in the hour that it took both of them to get hair cuts I think I got about 15 done. I'm definitely getting quicker at them.

I got dropped off at home. I still needed to get my sewing supplies together but I didn't have much to take. I decided I was going to sew the binding strips together for the 9 Project Linus quilts and put it on the quilts. I also figured that since I had 9, this would be a good time to learn to connect the ends on a diagonal. With 9 in a row it had to sink in…right? Yeah, not so much. It took me from 1pm to 7pm to get all the bindings sewn together and I only got 5 of them on. It takes me sooo long to figure out how to sew the two ends together. I just don't get it.

I threw my stuff in the car and was expecting to get there after my mom and Grandma but I think I was there for about an hour and a half before them. I guess they were talking to my Grandma's neighbor but I think there was additional dawdling involved. My Aunt and I heard a LOT of emergency sirens and were both freaked out that they were in an accident because my mom wasn't answering her phone.

My Aunt Kitty did really, really well sewing her strips together for her split rail fence quilt. By the time we left she had the top together and was going to be putting the borders on. My mom worked on sewing a split rail fence kit together for Project Linus and my Grandma worked on sewing some 5" squares into a quilt top.

My Grandma trying to sew is very frustrating for us. I love her to death; we all do. But it's becoming obvious that she wants to do it her way, and her way only and not try out the things we're suggesting that she try since she can't see very well. I found some self threading sewing machine needles. They're very finicky. Since they have a groove that the thread pops into it also pops out very easily. I suggested holding onto the thread when you start out but since my grandma has never done that, she doesn't remember to do it so the threat pulls out and up into the take up lever. With her vision the way it is, she can't see to put it back through the machine. She puts her pins in every which way which is fine BUT since she can't see, she's sewing right over them. I've now seen for the first time in my life a sewing machine needle shoot right through the round plastic head of a needle. I didn't know you could do that! Then I tried changing her thread from white (because the machine is white) to bright Yellow thinking that would make it easier for her to see. I also took a permanent black marker and drew a line on the bed of my little Janome machine so that she could follow her fabric along that line. The only thing she got down was the black line and how to thread the needle. This is further than she's been but we can't get the rest of it through her head. By the end of the day, I think all three of us had reached our limits with her. Every time we turned around she was asking if it was time to go home yet. It was just a frustrating day…but equally rewarding because my Aunt did so well.

My mom and I got back to her house and both set up intending to sew. Next thing I knew she was asleep on the couch so I went and laid on her bed and read quite a few pages in my Harry Potter book. Finally at Midnight I decided that was nuts so I took Holly and we came home.


COMMENTS:

Monday, July 23, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by Vera
You are so busy all the time. I need some of your energy today.


Monday, July 23, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by MoneikQuilts
That sounds like a challenging day. My grandma was the same way before she passed away. She wanted to do it her way always!


Monday, July 23, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by Anonymous
You have had a busy time of it .I couldn't do half of what you do .It's great that you all take the time with your grandma ,I know first hand it can be stressful at times .She's very lucky to have a family like yours .


Monday, July 23, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by 51050
I wondered how well those machine needles work. There's a lady in my Bible study group that has macular degeneration and can see to sew, but not to thread the needle. I think she might be a little more with it as far as learning to hang on to the thread. I will have to suggest it to her. Thanks for the suggestion. Rhoda


Monday, July 23, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by CountryQuilter
What a busy day! I just don't know how you do it all...you will have to post a photo of you aunts quilt.
Kristie



No comments: