Monday, July 23, 2007

Whew...the bindings are done my old way



I finished the remaining 4 Project Linus bindings last night. I just went back to my regular way of folding one end over and putting the other end inside of it to close up the binding. It works, I just really wish I could have learned the other way. I think I should schedule some time at one of the local quilt stores with a few quilts ready to go to have them help me with them in person. I found what looks to be a better web site. If you open this LINK, Step J is what I'm trying to accomplish. I guess it's called Continuous Quilt Binding. Now that I look at her method I think I'll give it another try. She's had the clearest directions so far.

I also finished the Purple and Lime baby quilt. So that's two things marked off my list. I put the binding on and quilted the border last night. I also removed the basting tacks and took it's pictures. This morning it went into the wash. I don't know if it's just the brightness of the top or what, but I'm not happy that you can see the design of the Carpenters Wheel through the backing. I'm really happy with the way this quilt came out.

I received an email tonight from my cousin Katie. She's bringing her boys down from Minnesota August 9-12th. Jake and Zack are two of the three kids that I'm making "Big Kid" quilts for. Alli is the third kid, hers is the pink and purple quilt that I started a few weeks back. I have the fabric, there just hasn't been the time to get them done. I probably won't see them again until next year and I'd rather give them the quilts in person instead of shipping them. So, you all know what that means…Jen's gotta get two twin sized quilts done in the next 16 days. I'm going to use the Yellow Brick Road pattern…at least I think that's what I'm going to use. Zack's will be Green, Jake's will be blue. I'm going to read it over good today at lunch. It seems simple enough to me but there was a class for it out at Bits & Pieces and all of the women were talking about how awful the directions are and how confused they were. It seemed so odd to me because everyone else talks about how easy the pattern is. If it turns out not to be as easy as I think it is, then I'll just change my idea and do the 4-Patch Flip that I made for my Grandmother's Flower Garden Quilt.


COMMENTS:
Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by lori
I checked out the link for binding I was taught to do it something like this only I don't sew them together on a diagonal .I would think this is what makes it difficult ,I'll have to try that next time .You'll have them quilts done in no time ,Can you bottle up some of that energy and send it to me .


Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by CountryQuilter
Wow, you have been busy again...I love the carpenters wheel...I may have to do that one myself...Good luck getting your other quilts done for them, I know you can do it...
Kristie


Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by Vesuviusmama
It's beautiful! I love that block. Good luck getting the other two quilts done. I am always amazed at the reduced time it takes to machine quilt rather than hand quilt. I'm gonna have to try it sometime. Otherwise, I'm just going to have lots of tops and no actual quilts. I have three quilts in the process of being quilted in frames and hoops right now. It's crazy!


Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by 51050
Hi Jen, I'm surprised you can see the quilt through the back. I don't think I've ever had that happen, but I usually used a dark color back. I love the carpenter's wheel. I saw one done in blacks in a magazine and I always wanted to try one. Someday. Rhoda


Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by SewAndSnip
I figure by the weekend you'll have both quilt tops done. I know you and I sew with you all the time.
Mom


Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by Vera
I really like your carpenters wheel quilt. Once you learn how to do the binding that way it is really easy and looks much nicer. Don't give up.


Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - August 11th
Posted by luv2quilt
Hi Jen,
Darn, you were too fast for me! I was going to tell you to drive over to Waunakee on the 11th, as there will be 10 quilters from Iowa there, including me! Maybe your cousin would like to go visit Mill House Quilts! Bring your mom, and come meet me! Michelle


Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - webshots
Posted by take2quilter
Thanks, Jen for the information. I printed out the post and will try to figure it out this evening.

Bindings are my nightmare also. Janice does them beautifully and has even figured out how to do them completely on the machine. I tried that and told Erinn Kate (granddaughter) to never ever tell anyone I did it. She thought the quilt was wonderful. It was backed with Minkee and I will never use it again. Very slippery.

I once pinked the sides of a quilt and told my friends it was the new thing, raw edge finishing. If you can do raw edge applique why not raw edge quilts?

Have a great evening.

Joanna

(I wrote this already and didn't put in the code, hope you don't get it twice :^)





Pinpoint customers who are looking for what you sell.

No comments: