Monday, August 20, 2007

Charity Sewing Night

Tonight my mom and I did our first Charity Sewing Night. We're going to work on charity stuff every Monday night through Fall and Winter. That way it's designated to ONE day and I don't have to feel bad the other 6 days. 1 Monday per month we'll be going to meet with our Project Linus group so Mondays should work out well. Plus, with Monday Night Football it's great for Holly and I to be out of the house.

I sewed a raggy quilt. Now I have two to snip. I'll work on snipping those during my lunches as soon as I'm done snipping the threads on the Yo-Yo flag. Which by the way I made great strides on today. I bet I have a picture posted by the end of the week. I spent 30 minutes working on pillow cases. I'm going to work on pillow cases for 30 minutes a day. Yes this deviates from my Monday's only strategy but I feel it's the best way to get back on track and get these pillow cases knocked out. Part of me wants to not work on them at all, the other part of me says finish them and get them over with. I left my bag of pillow cases in progress at my mom's. I'll start back up with those next Monday. In the mean time I have a bunch of donated fabric that I can cut from. Still some left over from Franklin Public Library and my friend Maureen gave me a few bags as she's been cleaning out her stash.

Ladies, the best thing that you can do if you don't have the time to sew for a charity is to go through your stash and dump out those pieces that you're never going to get around to using. Someone, somewhere does have the time to sew but doesn't have the resources. Little old ladies like my Grandma for example. She'll have these 9 quilt tops together in no time because it will give her something to do during the day. There's lots of people out there with more time than money who would be happy to make things for some of the different organizations. Just keep that in mind next time you look through your stash. Think of Project Linus, The Snuggles Project, Project Snuggles (I can't find a link but our Project Snuggles quilts locally go to children who have a parent serving overseas in the Military), the Heart Strings Project and Quilts of Valor just to name a few.

I think I've caught up on reading and commenting on everyone's blogs. If I missed a post somewhere I'm sorry!!

As for this new blog site. I think it's great that she's started a new one, but I kind of wish she would have just improved THIS site instead. I'm not moving. At least I have no plans to. I did sign up just so I'd have my same screen name for if I ever want to go over there. But, I'm the type that if I go elsewhere to blog I'm going to want to transfer my old posts and that's one heck of a daunting task at this point. If anyone does move over there for good, let me know and I'll throw your new info on my Bloglines account.

I tried to drop off quilt kits for project linus today at my Grandma's but she wasn't home so I'll run over there tomorrow after work if she is. We've got 9 for her. I took out all the binding fabric tonight. Hopefully before bed I can get them all pinned together so that next Monday they're ready for sewing and ironing.

Comments:
Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by 51050 (24.176.0.71)
I think your Monday night charity night is a great idea. Like you said, you don't need to feel guilty the rest of the week. Rhoda

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by luv2quilt (12.205.65.222)
Jen, I love you, but I SAID, give me back some of the energy you took from me!!!!! Have I created ANYTHING since I've been on this blog? It's 2:22am, and I woke up because it is storming AGAIN!

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by jillquilts (205.188.117.73)
I agree - the Charity sewing night is a great idea! I may have to implement this idea to finish the tops that I took from the Guild AND from Project Linus! I think I have 7 total. And I even got batting to work on 2 of the kits from the Guild.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by jillquilts (205.188.117.73)
I forgot to add - I don't plan on going to the new site either. I know that there are people other than fellow quilting bloggers who are looking at my site and I don't want to confuse everyone with moving my blog so soon. And I am like you - I would want to move all of my posts, too!

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by lori (24.215.52.160)
I agree with your idea of giving others fabric we will never use , I usually do up bundles front ,back and batting .The senior ladies just love it and always return a beautiful baby quilt for charity .

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by MoneikQuilts (209.159.204.1)
I think you have a great plan! Keep up the good work.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by maryann64 (74.118.54.208)
Hi I would love some of your energy. I'm with you not going over to the new blog. I'm happy with the friends I am making here. Yes it would have been nice if Kim had improved this site. What pillows are you working on??? I have always been interested in updating my pillow cases - do you have any ideas? Hugs Mary Ann

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by CountryQuilter (69.176.34.114)
I think what you are doing for charity is great! Your grandmother seems to be enjoying her work too. As far as the other blog goes, as you know I was the first one on there with her. I got a private message from her saying that she...was unable to update this site because the program was outdate and that she had no plans to take it down anytime soon...that was her exact words... Kristie

No comments: