Thursday, August 9, 2007

The Fabulous Feeling that comes with Quilt Giving

When I was at work today I had a chat with my cousin Tracey who invited my mom and I over tonight to wait for our cousin Katie and her Kids to arrive. I intended to wait to give them their quilts until Friday night so that I could show them off at my Block of the Month meeting but I simply couldn't wait. I HAD to give them to them right away. I'm not good at waiting. When I've made a quilt and finished it I just get so excited to deliver it!!


My mom and I got there around 7:30 which was still before Katie and her kids. Tracey's kids; Sammi & Alli were growing restless...they just wanted their cousins to get there already!! I decided to give them their gifts then to take their minds off of the wait. Sammi opened hers first and knew right away that the quilts were for her American Dolls. Turns out, the pink I used matches the bunk beds that her dolls have. She was also thrilled to have a pillow case to match her Doll's quilts as well as her big kid quilt that she got years back. I thought for sure she'd put the pillow case on that matched the Doll's but to my surprise she went right for the yellow one that matched her quilt even though she's very much a Pink kind of girl. As for Alli's quilt. I'm not sure who loves it more; Alli or Tracey!! Either way it's a hit. Alli was torn between wanting to go to bed right away and wanting her cousins to arrive.



Alli is actually under her quilt in this picture.




Sammi and her American Girl Doll Quilts.




Alli sitting on her new quilt.



When Katie and her kids; Jacob and Zach arrived there was the usual pandemonium. It warmed my heart to see Zach dragging in his baby quilt. Turns out; Zach has been asking when he was going to get his "big kid quilt." Talk about a kid remembering. How awesome is that?? Both of the boys loved their quilts. I just wasn't smart enough to get a picture of them with their quilts! Katie was just blown away that I made her a quilt and started crying. I told her it was because I felt she could really use one. Not saying she needed new bedding; but saying she needed to be reminded that she's loved more often that she probably hears it. Just when I thought her tears subsided, my mom pointed out the quilt label.




Jacob & Zach


Both in need of hair cuts...their Grandpa is a Barber so they've been waiting to come to WI to have him cut it.


My mom had made Katie a pale green Runaround Bag so now she's all set. Tracey really liked the purse too, so I've decided to make her one. I already know the fabric I want to use and everything. So I'll be picking that up on Sunday at the Patched Works.


We spent the rest of the night chatting and catching up. I just love spending time with them!!

Comments:
Sunday, August 12, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by terry4321 (76.98.191.77)
That's what quilting is all about ! there is nothing better to me anyhow, than when I give a quilt I made to someone, it is so appreciated. Doesn't it just make you feel so good inside?....

Sunday, August 12, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by jillquilts (64.12.117.73)
That's wonderful! How great that they were so appreciative of your hard work!

Sunday, August 12, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by luv2quilt (12.205.65.222)
Jen, you are such a loving, giving person. How special your loved ones must feel to receive their quilts. It makes every minute you spent making them, all worth it. You will always be special to them, and what memories you have made for them.

Sunday, August 12, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by CountryQuilter (69.176.33.14)
That is such a sweet story! I glad they all loved them, and the feeling of giving something that is well recieved is priceless. Kristie

1 comment:

maura said...

love the pictures maura