Saturday, August 18, 2007

Moda U Block of the Month & a Josh Grobin infatuation

We got our new block this month and I realized that last month’s block is undersized. I think this is a block where “scant” ¼ inch comes in to play. My mom and I weren’t fond of the colors anyway. When we get to the end I’ll take a look at which colors we have a lot of and then I’ll re-make the blocks. I’m looking forward to making this months block; it’s mostly flying geese with connectors. That’s where you put the square on the corner, sew and iron it back. They’re sooo accurate that way.


We also learned of Kelly’s infatuation with Josh Grobin. WOW. She became like a 12 year old with a crush! It was SOOO cute! She’s flown cross country to see him. Apparently fans are called, “Grobinites” and we giggled about them being from “Grobinlvania.” She’s even got a watch with his face on it. How does this tie into quilting? Well, he sings a rendition of “Starry, Starry Night which was originally performed by Don McLean. Kelly decided to take Van Gogh’s painting, “Starry Night” and turn it into a quilt for Josh. WOW. All I can say is WOW. It’s beautiful. I wish I had a picture of it to post for you because it’s just amazing. The quilt is all little snippets of gorgeous fabrics that mimic the painting. She used Heat and Bond to put them all down. She had planned on appliquéing everything but then she heard that Josh was no longer going to be accepting gifts. Since her quilt was something that she was putting her blood, sweat and tears into, she still wanted to make sure he got it. She moved heaven and earth just about to make sure he got this quilt. When she left on her trip to see him in California it wasn’t appliquéd or quilted yet. She managed to hand quilt it (killing her fingers) without a thimble through the heat and bond making sure that all the little pieces were secured. Is that love and dedication or what? I told her that maybe someday we’d see him on MTV’s “Cribs” and see her quilt hanging on his wall!!



Vincent Van Gogh's Starry Night Painting


Vicky really loved her purse!! I was so happy that she did. I bought two more thimbles while I was there. Still trying to replace the one Holly ate. The ones I bought last weekend were too small. I can use them but they’re tight. The ones this week are too big, but still usable. It’s a good thing they’re only $1.95! I’ll find the right size yet. Maybe I should go online and look. Who would think a millimeter or two would make all the difference in the world on a thimble. We were in a huge rush to get out of there so I only walked away with one blue fat quarter that I’m thinking I might add into my Ocean Waves quilt once I get around to starting it. It might be too bright for what I’m going for though.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would love to know how Kelley layed out her Starry Night Quilt. It is my 14 yr old son's favorite picture, that he would love in a quilt.(Only quilt he says he would ever want) There is a picture of Josh holding the quilt on the website it was auctioned on.

SJoBedal@aol.com