Sunday, August 26, 2007

A Non-Sewful Sunday

Today started out rather slowly. I read my favorite blogs, read the newspaper and then finally got ready for the day. Mom and I headed over to Bits & Pieces since they were having a “Porch Sale.” They had a huge table full of bolts of fabrics from previous collections at $3, $4 & $5 per yard. They were all very pretty but nothing that I was after. They did however have my Moda Spring collection on sale at 30% off so I picked up some yardage to use for borders and bindings for when I finally decide what I’m going to make with my huge fat quarter pack. It’s funny, I could think of a million and one things to make with it but I want to be able to use all the fabrics in some way, shape or form. I’m probably making it much more difficult than it needs to be.


I bought some of these two browns to make another Veronica Pocket Book. I’ve been staring at these two fabrics for months now. I’m not yet sure which will be the outer and which will be the lining but I have time since it will be a purse for fall. For the sides of the purse I’m going to go with black. Then black handle and possibly a black flap. I’m leaning more towards the one with the squares for the outside of the bag. It’s so funny, these two fabrics aren’t my thing at all, but I’m so drawn to them!



I also picked up this piece of blue. I have it in a lighter color and I used it in my Butterfly Sassy Bag. It’s just such an awesome color. So, it will go in my stash. It might fit in with my ocean wave’s quilt. If it’s the right shade it could be an awesome addition. I want to start that quilt in the worst way but I’m not letting myself until I finish up a few other projects.



I’ve also wanted to make a bag for my smaller rotary mat and rulers for some time now. I’ve got the design all set up in my mind; I’ve just got to get it down on paper and start working on it. Once I’ve got it done, I’ll post my directions for it if anyone else would like to make one. I thought this would be a great fabric to make it out of:


I have another smaller piece of this fabric that I’ve had for some time now. I want to make a block roll up out of it as well; I just haven’t had a chance to do that yet. I think I need to pick up some more PVC pipe first.


My grandma called needing help with her sewing machine. She said the bobbin thread was out. The funny thing is that when we got there, a full bobbin was in the machine and everything was threaded properly. She also said she called each of us a few times – we’ve both got caller id and there wasn’t anything from her. I called her my phone from her house just to be sure and it worked just fine. We’re not sure if she just wanted company or what. I cut the strips apart for two Project Linus quilts that she’s working on.


When we got back to my moms house, neither of us were feeling very motivated. I finished cutting out my circles for my yo-yo’s that I’ll be making into garland for my Christmas tree. We then went to my house for dinner and Mom and I both worked on Yo-Yo’s and nothing else. I think I got about 30 or so done already. My speed sure has picked up on these. I have a smaller tree so I’m really not sure how many of them I’m going to need. I bought ½ yards of 3 fabrics and cut them all so I guess I’ll just keep making until I’m out of Yo-Yo’s and hope that I haven’t made way too many!


At one point, I had a roll to snack on. It was completely hollow. Why I thought this was funny; I don’t know. But, I made my mom take a picture of me with it. You actually can see my eyeball through it but I don't need my scrunched up face that big on my blog! LOL.



Mike, my Mom and I were sitting around watching Gene Simmons Family Jewels. It’s a hilarious show. We had just finished telling him about our trip to my Grandma’s when Mike says, “I think the three of you should be a sewing reality show on that same channel with all those other sewing shows you watch.” Is he saying that the three of us should be locked up in a loony bin? Is he saying we’d be interesting to watch? Is he saying he’d be watching; waiting for one of us to kill another with a rotary cutter? It was worth a few good laughs though!

Comments:
Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by MoneikQuilts (69.77.200.234)
Wow, your fabrics are so pretty! I'm sure you'll figure it out. I love the purse fabrics and I'm with you they aren't my style, but I'm drawn to them.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by CountryQuilter (69.176.34.134)
I love your new fabrics...Can't wait to see you new things that you make. I like the brown, the design is a little retro, but brown is my favorite color. Kristie

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by luv2quilt (12.205.65.49)
Love your mug shot, Jen! You are just too silly!

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by 51050 (71.89.151.56)
Why not make that bag reversible? Rhoda

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - love the blue!
Posted by mamanance (24.127.100.201)
Do you happen to know the name of that fabric? I'd love to hear more about your ocean waves quilt plans. I am collecting ocean/beach fabrics to do something with sometime, just don't know what yet. Guess that project is a WIMM - is that what they are called - a Work in My Mind??

No comments: