Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Poker & Pie

Today when I got home from work I worked on the Log Cabin quilt for about 20 minutes. I loaded the log cabin quilt, the green YBR and my Underground Rail Road quilt into my trunk and headed over to my Mom’s to pick her and my Grandma up for dinner & strip poker. I grabbed the Pink & Purple YBR & the Blue one and added those to my trunk.


Off we went to Bakers Square to meet our friend Maureen for dinner. Maureen brought me a bag of books to read and I can’t wait to get started. I’m not letting myself read until these quilts are done. By done, I mean labels on, Pillow Cases made, a second pass over for errant threads and basting tacks, bindings on. We joked around at dinner because I can look at a menu in any restaurant and tell you what my Mom and Grandma will order. What can I say, we’re ALL predictable!!


Next stop, Patched Work’s for Strip Poker. We had a big group this month. There were 9 of us. I was the four of us, Julie the shop’s owner, her Mom, two Sisters, a niece and a nephew. What can I say…her niece and nephew…were much more focused and on top of their game than the rest of us were!!! I was reminded on how busy I’ve been this month. Last time we were at poker I “stole” a strip from Maureen because she really liked it. I was going to make her something out of the strip and I haven’t gotten to it yet. =(. There were some huge pots to be won. I think we had two hands where a total of 171 strips were won each time. I haven’t counted my strips yet but I think I’m slightly over what I came in with. Others were not so lucky.


We all know I can’t go into a quilt store and not buy something. I left with a charm pack since they’re being talked about so frequently on some of the message boards that I read. I also bought the pattern that goes with my fat quarter set of Moda Dog prints that I purchased a while back. And, it looks like Maureen and I will get drawn into “Batik Club” because wow…they were sooo pretty looking. It meets every other month. You can choose from the fat quarter, half yard or yard collections. I’m thinking we would probably both go for the fat quarters.


We were also trying to think of a blog name for Maureen. I really want her to start one because she is hilarious and is always cracking me up. She has some of the funniest stories. Right now at work she’s got a coworker with back a problem that needs to sit in a barkolounger. The problem with this is, her husband, son and herself are all heavy smokers and this isn’t a new chair…it’s been in their house and is now riddled with smoke. Maureen’s become a nomad at work because the smell is just too much for her asthmatic lungs. Boy, can I empathize there. My lungs wouldn’t be able to take that either. Hmmm, how about Maureen’s Quilt Maddness?

The 4 of us then toddled outside for my “Trunk Show.” I wanted to show Maureen the quilts because I’m not sure if they’ll still be in my possession next Friday when we go to Block of the Month. I showed Maureen all three of the YBR quilts, the Log Cabin that’s in process and my UGRR quilt because Maureen wanted to see it in person.


Of course, it wouldn’t be strip poker night unless we went back to Baker’s Square after poker for our serving of pie. Mmmmmm, triple berry pie……..


I had all intents of coming home to quilt on the log cabin but the moment I sat down I was just beat. I went to bed without sewing a stitch.

Comments:


Thursday, August 2, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by lori (24.215.52.160)
You are one busy girl ,you poker games sound like fun .In the new Quilters Home magazine they have suggestions for quilters car plates maybe she could use one of these for a name .STITCHR QLT-LVR QLTMAMA FATQRT my favorite LVAQLTR

Thursday, August 2, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by luv2quilt (12.205.65.49)
So THAT'S where you were last night! I went to bed at 7:15pm!

Thursday, August 2, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by CountryQuilter (69.176.32.247)
Do you ever slow down? I get tired just trying to keep up with you. Kristie


No comments: