Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Quilted Christmas Ornaments

I’ve been pondering over the last few days on how to go about making the quilted Christmas ornaments that I’d like to make this year. I’m going to paper piece them since they’re so small. I’m thinking maybe 3x3. The idea of binding something so small isn’t at all appealing. Learning a new technique to bring the backing over to the front to act as binding and mitering those little corners doesn’t appeal to me either. I hate sewing around the edges and turning something that small. Then it dawned on me; what if I put Peltex in the middle instead of batting and assemble the ornament the same way that I assemble my post cards with the satin stitch on the edges? Using this method I would also be able to personalize the back of each ornament by printing the recipients name or family name and the year onto muslin.


I’ll then need holes to tie a hanger to. I could use a leather punch and punch small holes either in two corners or in one corner if I want it to hang on point.


I think that’s my game plan. Gee, great; another project to add to my insanely long list!!

Comments:
Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by 51050 (24.176.0.71)
I'm assuming peltex is something you used in the cards? It sounds like it would work. Why don't you make a few tonight and show us? : ) Rhoda

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by maryann64 (74.118.54.208)
Hi the project sounds good do show us a few. What is Peltex I've never heard of it. Glad you are thinking of christmas my non needlework friends think I'm nuts it's summer. Hugs Mary Ann

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by cowgirl4ever (138.162.140.54)
That sounds great. I haven't decided what to make for my ornaments this year either. Last year I started some really awesome ones and didn't get to finish because of elbow surgery. Mom bailed me out and crocheted snowflakes.. I did my part by starching them. I love my mom... smiles Heather

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by luv2quilt (12.205.65.222)
More projects?????? Girl, how will we EVER keep up with you? Ok...we won't!

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by MoneikQuilts (209.159.204.1)
I think that sounds like a great idea. If you use Peltex 72 it has sticky stuff on both sides, so no steam a seam or wonder under to use. That would work great and you could use your decorative stitches!

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by sunshine (69.34.151.157)
I haven't seen this done and I would love to see one that you have finished. I have a friend in a rest home that I would love to have a few to pass out to her friends. If you can will you send me the directions also? Thanks

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by CountryQuilter (69.176.35.43)
See, you are so smart. I think that would work perfectly... Can't wait to see them. Kristie

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by jillquilts (64.12.117.71)
Sure, add it to your list and then you will finish everything and the rest of us will still have lists a mile long!! kidding! :) I think it sounds like a great plan. Make one up and show us what you did!

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by MaureenQuilts (69.210.43.177)
Jen I wish I had all the energy you have...everytime I look you are posting about another project. Maureen

No comments: