Saturday, August 11, 2007

Sensational Saturday Shopping Spree Part 2

We moved onto lunch at a resturant called Sweet Sophie's. I guess it's named after the owners dog...how COOL is that?? It wasn't busy at all and they really moved us in and out even with our group of 13.

Our next stop was J J Stitches in Sun Prairie. A smaller shop than Mill House Quilts but each has it's on niche. J J Stitches is more into Civil War Reproduction fabrics and such from several Moda Collections. If I had to describe the shop; I'd say dreary. But, it's fabric makes it that way. They had a lot of smaller quilts on the walls hung inside these thick old fashioned frames. It looked really cool. I really wanted this Indigo Snowball Pattern but they didn't have it in stock - funny because it's their own pattern. Upon further review though; I think it's something that I can duplicate on my own without a pattern.



We saw this goofy purse called a "Zip-It." I'll talk more about it later. They did have a very pretty room filled with 30's fabric and baby fabrics. Lots of pretty baby flannels. I couldn't of course leave without making a few purchases.


I also picked up a piece of 30 x 36" Minkee dirt cheap. I'll use it to back the baby quilt that I'm going to make with the above fabrics. One thing that I without a doubt did not like about J J Stitches was that they rip their fabric that you purchase instead of cutting it with a scissors or rotary cutter. I know they have their reasons for this...I've heard the arguments on both sides but it is just not my preference at all. I thought their fat quarters would be cut but they are ripped as well. There's just nothing like having to take at least 3/8 of an inch off of each edge when you go to use it. What a waste! If I ever go back, I would request that they use a scissors and you know what; if they said that's all they do I'd walk out without purchasing it.





Our next stop was a few doors down from J J Stitches called Prairie Quilt Works, LLC. I felt like I walked into a time warp. They still had a bolt of fabric that was from the 2000 Millenium Line...AT FULL PRICE. Their fabric just over all wasn't my thing. It was as if the quilt fabric was only a side business to their main business of their Yarn Shop. In the back of the Quilt Shop portion they have a Gammil quilting machine. The owner's husband said that they haven't made a profit from the machine in over a year and a half because they can't find anyone to run it. My first thought was, LEARN TO USE IT YOURSELF. Oh my gosh! You could probably bring a lot more profit into your business by doing so. If you didn't want to run it all day yourself, learn how to use it enough to train people who want to rent the machine for hours at a time to quilt their own quilts. Seeing it just sit there unused made me cringe.





I was very sad to see our day of shopping with Michelle and her friends come to an end. I know it won't be too long before I'm seeing them all again. I know Michelle had the pictures on her blog; but I wanted to post them on mine as well.



Cindy, Michelle & Jen

My mom and I headed back to Milwaukee so that we could let our dogs out and so she could give Murphy is insulin. And then...we were off to the fair.


See you on the next post!!

Comments
Sunday, August 12, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by CountryQuilter (69.176.34.246)
I'm sure you are exhausted! I don't blame you, I hate when they rip the fabric. I have found that most people that do that don't quilt much themselves. Kristie

Sunday, August 12, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by Trina (172.129.46.208)
Sounds like you had a great day!! I can't wait to hear more. And to see some more of your purchases.........

Monday, August 13, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by jillquilts (205.188.117.76)
There is only one store in Cincinnati that rips and I won't buy anything from their store. When I was asking for donations for the retreat last year, I visited every quilt shop in the area and was impressed that they were the only store that ripped. But I didn't like their store, the workers, or that they ripped. :(

No comments: