Thursday, August 23, 2007

Veronica Pocketbook

Tonight I just coudn't get settled in on what I wanted to work on so what did I do? Started a new project. LOL. I really would like to make one of those quilted shower curtains for our bathroom but I don't know out of which fabric. Hmmm, it just dawned on me, what about the sunflower fabric I bought in Madison a few weeks back. I know I want to do the carpenters wheel but that's about as far as I can get. I don't want to make it too girly or it will make Mike squeemish. I was supposed to cut fabric for pillow cases but I couldn't make myself do it. I should have started on my Friday night block of the month but I think I'll wait until the weekend to do that because I also need to start getting that quilt top together.


I decided to make a Lazy Girl Veronica Pocketbook out of a purple Batik that I bought a few weeks back. I love the fabric but I think the purse itself is going to have to grow on me. It was not my favorite bag to make. I did end up having in my thread stash the perfect varigated thread for the FMQ-ing. I decided instead of batting to use the Peltex since I wanted the purse to have a little more body. I'm happy with the body. I'm not happy with the way the sides got attached to the bag. You started at the top, sewed down then pivoted and back up the other side. I think it might work better if you sewed the bottom seam first and then did the two sides. This was the first purse that I used "Fashion Handles" on. I like them, I like the way they look with the bag but I didn't think to measure the arc of my handles before putting the tabs on the bag. I just followed the directions and went on with life. Unfortunately, each tab could stand to be moved out at least a 1/2". I guess I've learned a valuable lesson that when trying a new purse pattern make it out of crappy fabric first and then move on to the really cool piece that you just couldn't wait to use. I think next time I would also make the front flap about 2 inches longer. I just seems to stick out. All things considered though, I do like her. I know that when I carry her the only person who will notice all her flaws is me - well and you guys because I just pointed them all out!! Wouldn't you know it, the back looks better than the front!!




Comments:


Thursday, August 23, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by jillquilts (205.188.117.70)
I think it's pretty!

Thursday, August 23, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by CountryQuilter (69.176.32.228)
Now Jen, if you are unhappy with it, just send it my way. I LOVE it. I think this is one of my favorites. I really like the style of it and the colors that you used. I'm sure with the next one, you will make it more to suit your needs... Kristie

Thursday, August 23, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by lori (24.215.52.160)
Very nice ,you did a great job .

Thursday, August 23, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by 51050 (24.176.0.71)
I see your point about the handles, but it actually looks like that's the way it's supposed to be. I love that fabric! Rhoda

Thursday, August 23, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by luv2quilt (12.205.65.49)
I love it too...especially the fabric!

Thursday, August 23, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by SewAndSnip (75.86.248.203)
Oh I really like it too. I can't wait to see it in person. Mom

Thursday, August 23, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by MaureenQuilts (69.210.35.170)
Veronica turned out very beautiful! I am going to have to get some handles and make one soon. I love the fabric you used! You always do a great job.

No comments: