Saturday, August 11, 2007

Wisconsin State Fair

Tonight Mike, my Mom and I finally made it to the State Fair. In itself that sounds funny to me because we live less than 5 miles from it; it's just been too humid to go. Still humid but we had to get there before it closed on Sunday night. On our way to the fair; we knew we were short on time so everyone said the things that they wanted to eat, drink or see so that we could hit everything. My mom called her friend and she let us park in her parking lot directly across the street from the fair for free! That's a highlight because usually we spend anywhere between $5-15 for parking AND have to walk about a mile.

I love the Fair. I always have and always will. It's extra special to me because ten years ago this week I met my husband Mike at the fair. I stole his beer while a group of friends stood their chatting in front of the BIG GIANT SLIDE. A few years later Mike took me there to propose. His ruse was that we were running over there to drop off a bid for work. I had been drinking wine with my neighbors when Mike wanted to go do this so I was a little irked that he couldn't just go by himself. We're driving around the fair grounds; it's mid April and it's getting really damp out and he says, "I can't find where I'm supposed to drop this, why don't we get out and walk?" Me, being irritated said something to the effect of, "Why the hell do we want to do that, do you realize how large the fair grounds are?" Yeah, I should have just got out and shut up because I think in retrospect he was ready to throw the ring at me. Anyway, here's a picture of us in front of the slide tonight:


In a period of 4 hours we at & drank the following: Deep fried cheese curds (Me), Corn on the Cob (Mike & Mom), Maple Cotton Candy (Mike & Me), Diet Coke (All of us), Rootbeer Milk (Mike), Chocolate Milk (Mike & I), Mocha Milk (Me). I know I'm missing a few things. All I know is that I had too much dairy.


Mom and I ran across the Zip-It purses for the second time in one day. Since they were only $4 we each had to have one since they were such a novelty.



Of course when we hit the "Junk Building" as we like to call it, we ended up with OxyBalls for the second year in a row, more BioOx pet stain remover; a repeat from 2 years ago and our Mint Chocolate Fudge. The fudge wasn't that great. It's grainy. Even I can make better fudge and that's not saying very much!


My favorite part of the night was looking through the quilts and other art that is brought in for judging. OMG. My mom and I were sitting in that building when out of the corner of my eye I saw a familiar quilt. Someone entered that Ugly Harvest Spice Quilt that my mom and I did for that block of the month. Even quilted really well I didn't like it. All I could do was say, "OH MY GOD" and hit my mom repeatedly in the arm until she followed my gaze. I hope you enjoy the slide show of Quilts from our fair.




2007 State Fair Exibition Quilts

Comments:
Monday, August 13, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by CountryQuilter (69.176.32.234)
How sweet that you and Mike had your photo taken in front of the slide. Love the photo! I don't know how you find time to do it all. You make me tired sometimes just reading about your day. Love the quilt show! Kristie

Monday, August 13, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by jillquilts (205.188.117.77)
What a sweet story about how you and Mike met and the proposal! Those pics are cool!

Monday, August 13, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by SewAndSnip (75.86.248.203)
We had so much fun at the fair even though it was a gazillion degrees and humid. It was so hot I didn't even have a cream puff and they are the highlight of our fair. Cindy

No comments: