Sunday, September 30, 2007

Aunt Joan's Quilt

The quilt that I quilted at Michelle's yesterday has a little bit of a story behind it that I'd like to tell.


In December of last year my Aunt Joan became very sick. She was in Congestive Heart Failure. Towards the middle to end of January we knew the end was near. On Friday the 19th my mom and I went to my Grandma's to sit with her. If we got the call, we would be together. We were trying to convince my Grandma to go with us to see her but she felt like she was intruding. Finally at 10pm she decides she wants to go. We drive over to my Uncle Bob & Aunt Joan's House and the lights were all out. Everyone had a long day and finally settled in for the night so we kept driving home.


The next morning we had Block of the Month at Bits & Pieces. They had a neat quilt on display and fabrics all cut into a kit for it. I don't know what possessed me to buy it other than the fact that it had a really cool striped fabric that I fell in love with. The fabrics wern't me, but I just needed the kit. Afterwards we ran to pick up my Grandma and head over to my Uncle & Aunt's house. She had just passed moments before we arrived.


It was a very sad day but our family always manages to pull together in times like these and we had an Irish Wake to toast to the memories of my Aunt Joan. I'm not a big drinker and since I was our driver I think I nursed 2 drinks over about a 12 hour period and I was our driver. Once my Grandma was tucked back at home my mom and I went to her house to unwind. Mom decided to pour herself a drink and I had nervous energy so I was just going to cut out my quilt. By mom's second drink I was sewing my quilt top together. It went together quicker than I would have imagined. As she went for her third drink I was putting the borders on and asking her when she was going to offer me a drink. She made mine really strong so I could "Catch Up." Well, the borders looked pretty wonky so it was a good thing I was done.


The quilt top has sat here all these months in my to be quilted pile. I've never been quite sure what to do with it. It doesn't match anything in my house and the fabric choices are REALLY out of the box for me. The bird print and the border print are not something I would have ever picked out myself.


I decided to take this quilt with me to Michelle's to quilt because it required the least complicated quilting of anything else in my stash. The entire time I worked on it I had my Aunt Joan in the back of my head. Which now made me think, what should I do with this quilt. I had been thinking of giving it to my Uncle Bob but the colors were just stopping me. However, when my mom suggested the same thing, I realized that's where it is meant to go.


It's not going to remotely match anything in his house but I'm hoping he'll accept it as my memory of my Aunt Joan and so he'll know that I'm thinking of both of them...and not so much as, "Oh, this is really hideous!!"


With that, here's my finished quilt.


4 comments:

Cindy (aka Peony the House Elf) said...

I know that Uncle Bob will treasure this quilt. He's going to be very touched that you thought that much of Aunt Joan and him to make it and in the end give it to him. This is a very special thing that you are doing for him. I know that you'll even put a special label on the back. You make my heart so happy that you're my daughter and my friend. I love you.

butrfly2200 said...

Lovely story about the quilt. For some reason I can't see it. I'll try again the next time I'm online. Sometimes things just done load on my computer then the next time they will.
:) Carol

butrfly2200 said...

Hi again,
I am just impatient some times. The picture is now there. Nice quilt. I'm afraid it's not my colours either but it is still very nice.
:) Carol

Kristie said...

That is such a touching story about your family. Times like that are so hard for familys. I love your quilt. I LOVE the fabrics and colors!!! I'm sure he will treasure it always.
Kristie