Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Bargello Progress

Woo hooo!!! I've got the top half of my Bargello Quilt completed!! I do have two remaining strips but I will wait to add those until I know for sure that I can get the same amount of strips out of the remaining two tubes. I should have gone to bed a long time ago but I couldn't resist since I was so close!! The top half currently measures 61 x 44 so complete it should be 61 x 88. It'll be big; but I'm not good at making normal sized lap quilts.



I was chatting with Vera today about how one would quilt this and she suggested an all over leaf pattern. Subtle but still quilted. I may have to splurge and get it done because it could be years until I'd be comfortable enough to do that myself.

So now my question is, what about copyright? I pulled the fabrics. I cut them and sewed them into their tubes. I started cutting and assembling based on ideas for measurements that Jaja had given us. After I had about 1/4 of the top sewn and another 1/4 cut I was directed to look at an issue of Fabric Trends that had an article on Bargello Quilts. I really liked how they had theirs laid out so I worked with a section of it. I have many strips that are thinner than their suggested strips with quite a few extra steps in between what they had listed for cutting. A few that are as wide as they suggested. I liked how theirs flowed so I tried to follow the same line. They worked with 9 fabrics repeating 5 times, I'm working with 22 fabrics repeating twice. If I were to enter this quilt in a Quilt Show or State Fair; whose pattern is it?

10 comments:

Moneik said...

Your bargello looks awesome! You should be really happy with how it is turning out. I need to get your motivation!

jaja said...

jen...I keep leaving comments and they don't show up. I hope you are getting them. I love it and to answer your question, it is your design. The fact that you have a different number of fabrics makes it yours and the size of your strips. I quilted mine from corner to corner. If you look at some of the quilts I posted you can see the quilting line. I think this enhances the swoop of the bargello.

jaja said...

Oh, I forgot! I love it! It makes me feel very autumnal...is that a word? Very spicy too! Pumpkiny? You rock!

Karen said...

Jen, the Wisconsin State Fair doesn't ask questions about the quilts. They just judge them. The only way you might be in trouble is if you entered it in "original pattern"..but even then it would be open to interpretation. Also, you probably would need to read the entry form carefully since you don't plan to do the quilting yourself. In most shows you need to give credit to the quilter if it wasn't yourself. As for quilt shows in WI, they don't care what you used in the process, however, they usually ask for the pattern, if there was one. When people read articles or books and pick up tips or options, they are not usually noted, as in the case of using a certain type of embellishment or binding technique, etc. Jen, you should take the day off when they have the State Fair judging. It is so worthwhile and you can learn sooo much. I have been going for the last 5 years and enjoy the judging immensely...plus you get to see ALL the quilts, not just the top winners and the judges give great tips!!!!

Karen said...

Jen, your bargello is absolutely lovely!

Kristie said...

I LOVE IT!!!! This makes me want to start another one. I love your design and colors. Most quilt shows around here don't ask about many questions about the quilts, only if it is in a catagory of for made up patterns. All of the quilt shows that I have ever been in, just ask for the pattern or quilt name. I think your quilt would be a REAL WINNER.
Kristie

teresa said...

Your bargello is outstanding! As far as copyright goes, i agree only if you entering as your own oarignal pattern would you have to specify. otherwise it's your pattern, you just say who pieced and who quilted, if your worried you could say " pattern based on your personal variation of a so and so's pattern"

Maureen said...

Jen...I love the way your Bargello is turning out! I think this is definitely a quilt that you should enter in the WI State Fair...we can all go and ohh and ahh over your quilt next year!

Maureen

Nancy said...

Jen, your bargello is looking awesome! And I like Vera's leaf quilting idea since the colors are such marvelous fall colors, and Jaja's idea of the swoop sounds good too. As for entering it in a quilt show, it seems that shows all have different categories. If it were in our local quilt show it would have to be in the "Group Quilt" category if you get someone else to quilt it. They would want to know something about the pattern, but I don't think we have a category for "original pattern."
I am still looking for some more lights before I make my final selections for my fabrics - and am going with some friends on our own little "shop hop" on Monday.

jillquilts said...

This is absolutely GORGEOUS!!! I can't wait to see the whole thing!