Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Bargellos, Bordellos and Bras

Boy, I bet that got your attention!!

I was on the phone with my Dad tonight trying to explain about my Bargello quilt and he kept mis-pronouncing Bargello as Bordello. Finally I think I said something to the effect of, "I'm not running a whore house here..."

A few days back there was some discussion on my Janome 6500/6600 Yahoo group about bra straps slipping. Someone suggested moving the straps an inch to inch and a half closer to the strap. Duh, why didn't I think of this years ago? My straps always slip. I bet my straps are off my shoulders 95% of the time and they're really annoying. As I sat down at my machine to work on my Bargello quilt my straps slipped for the last time. I had it. I whipped off my bra, ripped out the stitching on the back. Moved it over, straight stitched it on with black thread (It's an off white bra; I was a woman on a mission). Bing, bang, boom and I put it back on. Wow, what a difference. My shoulders even feel different. I'm not well endowed by any means but I wonder if that is part of my back and neck problems; ill fitting bras. So next time the spirit moves me I'll replace the black thread with off white and secure it on there nice with a zig zag stitch. So ladies; pull off your bra and modify!!!!

My Bargello is coming along rather nicely. Bethany had suggested I go and take a look at the latest Fabric Trends magazine. I couldn't remember why that magazine seemed so familiar. As I was flipping through, there was the quilt that Julie of the Patched Works designed and quilted. Now I'll have to take it with me the next time I go to the Patched Works to have her autograph like she did Michelle's copy! Anyway, I flipped to the page with the bargello and I fell in love with their design. Mine was already started so I'm still kind of winging it and doing my own thing regarding the sizes of strips but I'm using the basic concept of theirs. I've now got my quilt top a 1/4 of the way done. I'm so happy with how it's turning out. I just LOVE it. Love, love, love it!!


7 comments:

jillquilts said...

It looks great! And I hear you about the straps on the bras. But my problem is that the straps are always too long and I don't get the appropriate support since I am so short and my shoulders are closer to my 'girls!' I have thought quite a few times about 'fixing' my bras. Now, I just might! :)

Moneik said...

I hear you on the bra problem. So often women don't wear the right size in the first place. I went and had a professional fitting (free) one time after I lost some weight and I was wearing a bra that was 3 sizes too big around and a cup too small. I always said I would be a professional dresser if it paid well. I think women need to look their best, even when people do see some items.
Your bargello is turning out really well. It reminds me so much of the fall colors.

teresa said...

Jen you are so right!

Anonymous said...

My husband wants to be a bra fitter when he grows up. I want to be a port-a-potty sucker outer. Your quilt is amazing, Jen. I absolutely love it! Rhoda

Rose Marie said...

About your bra ... too much information, but what you did makes sense and your bargello is outstanding. :o)

Kristie said...

Actually, my mom does this to her bras all of the time. She is huge in this AREA and it helps her with back strain. Her doctor told her to do this!!!

Oh, I love your Bargello!!! It is beautiful. I can't believe that I had not made one of these before. I was always so afraid to do it, they looked hard. But in the end they are very easy, just a lot of ironing...
Kristie

butrfly2200 said...

Jen,
Your bargello looks awesome. Good for you. Thanks for sharing
:) Carol