Saturday, September 22, 2007

A busy Saturday

Today didn't start off too hot. I had taken an extra muscle relaxer when I went to bed because my neck was feeling soooooo horrible and it really knocked me for a loop. I typically wait to take an extra until the weekend (Ok, let me clarify - I was supposed to be taking 3 pills, three times a day and I couldn't handle that so I'm supposed to take 3 a day. I'm lucky if I get one in a day because they really knock me out. So when I say I took an extra, it's really not extra) because they make me so foggy. I woke up feeling sort of hung over like I really could have stood an extra 2-3 hours of sleep.

Mom and I had breakfast at MickyD's and then went to Bits & Pieces for Moda U block of the month. I picked up some red and black fabric because I got the brilliant idea to make Diane a set of coasters to match her book cover. I'm going to use a little heat and bond to do the blood/heart icon. We found that they also have a lot of choices for black fabric so we're going to run back over there tomorrow so that my mom can get her fabric for our 2nd Friday block of the month quilt and I can get my border and binding fabric. I'm not sure when I'll finish it; it will take me a while to get brave enough to finish it on my frame!!

We headed home to pick up the pooches because it was Wag Fest. It's also Murphy's Birthday today. I was very disappointed in Wag Fest this year. There was hardly any vendors and we didn't get to see the pet psychic this year because she was booked. Ok, before you all fall off your chairs laughing; let me explain. Last year on a whim My mom and I signed up to do this. It was a donation to the Humane Society and since Holly & Murphy were both adopted I'm all for that. I went into it purely as a non-believer just for the entertainment value. All this lady knew going in was both of your names. It was all well and good until she told us that Murphy was glad that when my mom adopted him that she gave him a fresh start by changing his name from Midnight to Murphy. How the heck did she come up with that? Midnight WAS his name when he was adopted. Then there was just funny things, like Murphy wanted a cat. Now, she pegged Holly pretty well too. I wanted to know why Holly didn't like to go on walks and was told that she wants the world to come to her. I was told that she only wants her toe nails clipped at most 3 times a year because she hates having her feet touched. Ok, she could have figured this out because Holly does have long nails...she has to be sedated to get them cut. Then this woman proceeded to tell me that my previous dog Sherman (yeah, she totally came up with his name) wanted me to know that he wasn't in pain and that we did the right thing. Ok, yeah, right then and there this was all too much for me and I turned sheet white. I still don't know what I believe; there were just too many coincidences for it not to be real; but at the same time I'm not ready to admit that I'm a believer.

We were supposed to go to lunch, but I was too tired. I still just felt exhausted from the moment I got up this morning so I went home to try to take a nap. That didn't work out so well. Every time I turned around the phone was ringing.

Holly and I then headed off to my Dad's for a barbeque. His three brothers and 2 of my cousins where there - one with a fiance and the other with a girlfriend. Ok, I honestly couldn't tell you how much older I am than them but I have Zero in common with them. Talk about feeling like a total outsider. I felt like Mike would feel if he was abandoned in a quilt store. More than once I just wanted to leave. It's not that my cousins were unfriendly but I don't think either of them said more than hello and goodbye to me. I just don't fit in well with my Dad's side of the family. I'm ok with my dad and then any one of his brothers; but yet not when they're all together. I don't know, I can't explain it. But, Holly was such a good girl. I was so proud of her. Oh, and let me tell you, I am thankful that the screen door on our patio doesn't work as well as the screen door on my dad's patio. Holy Crap. Holly kept letting herself in the house. Someone would shut the door with her inside, she'd come back and nose it and let herself back out. It was pretty funny. Holly definitely thought it was a game.

I just got home and I read my email. My cousin and his wife lost their baby on Thursday. I'm sad, I know how happy and excited they all were.


Michelle said...

I'm sorry you had a tiring day, and I'm sorry about the baby. What a disappointment that must be. I do hope your neck gets to feeling better. I know how that feels. Take care of you. Hopefully tomorrow will be a whole lot better, and you will have some fun with your mom and your quilter!
Love, Michelle

Maureen said...

Sorry to hear about your back and your cousin. Which cousin lost her baby?

I wish you would have gotten in to see the doggie psychic...that would have been fun.

It sounds like you did a lot yesterday and I hope today is a better day.


P.S. - Have fun buying fabric and playing with your new machine set up.