Monday, April 23, 2007

Tales from the MRI Tube

Well, I just got back from my MRI. No news yet. I do however have another thing that I can add to the list of crazy things that happen to me file. They marked the spot that's bothering me so that they'd have a reference point. I did fine in the MRI tube but after a while I noticed my nose was going insane and I had thick goop draining in my nose. Without moving I was trying to breathe in deeper to get rid of said gunk. They actually had to run a few of the tests over because even though I was still, my innards were moving. So, I go to get dressed and reach around back to pull the tape with the "reference point" on it and discover a nut. Now, I'm highly allergic to nuts of all types and carry an epi pen. I change my clothing and take this nut out to the technician and ask, "What's this highly important medical marker made out of?" "Oh," she says, "It's an almond." I told her that really wasn't a good thing to use as a marker especially since I was highly allergic and carry an epi pen. COME ON PEOPLE. SERIOUSLY. Out of all the things in the world you could stick on someone's back to use as a marker you pick a NUT? Something that LOTS of people are allergic to??? I headed out to the waiting room and my husband and I went into a bathroom so he could wash my back down, I popped another allergy pill and I'm still itching like a mad woman.

Ok, I've been to the doctors office, they do everything by computer. On the first page, when the log my name in the very first thing that comes up is my Erythromycin, Penicillin and Nut allergies and that I carry an Epi Pen. You know darn well they were able to see that before they stuck said nut on my back. Haven't they ever heard of plastic? Is this the dark ages?? You would think they would have had to look at that page because they were putting tape on my back, and people who are allergic to latex run rampant.


COMMENTS

Monday, April 23, 2007 - HUH?!?!?!
Posted by Cow-lico Quilter
What kind of IDIOT uses an almond as a reference marker? You are completely right that they should have noticed the warning in your medical records. This is something that you need to take to a higher authority! Can you imagine if you had gone into anaphaxlatic shock while in the tube?

I am so sorry to hear that you are going through all this. My thoughts are with you.


Monday, April 23, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by completeshandemonium
Been wondering all morning how it went. I CANNOT BELIEVE THEY USED A NUT AS A MARKER!!!!!! I swear, Jen, that is so ridiculous. I'm glad you have the test behind you for the day and I hope you'll do something enjoyable for you if you have the energy after all you went through!


Monday, April 23, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by CountryQuilter
I have been waiting to hear from you today. When will you get your test results? That was really a dumb thing using the nut. What did they say after you informed them of your allergy? Hope you are okay....


Monday, April 23, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by 51050
You've been in my thoughts and prayers today, too. A nut. Honestly, that's about the stupidest thing I've ever heard of! Don't you wonder where people's brains are sometimes? If that's what they routinely use, I bet they've run into it before. Rhoda


Monday, April 23, 2007 - a nut??
Posted by mamanance
What kind of NUT uses a nut as a marker for anything medical?? I can't quite picture how this went - was it just laying on your back?? Surely there is something better they could use! I agree that it should be mentioned to someone over the dept that did the testing, but I imagine right now you want to conserve your energy for dealing with whatever they tell you the results of the tests show. You are still in my thoughts.


Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by orchidlover
I can't believe that. In the UK the American hospitals are always held up as the standard to aim for, but not even we would use a nut.
Before anything is done over here, even just taking blood,they ASK you what you are allergic to.
I hope the results come soon and put your mind at rest

love and hugs gina xxx


Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - sCARES YOU silly doesn't it?
Posted by ninepatchrose
To go to the hospital. I mean, really, they are the scariest places. They take your clothes, your dignity and then they don't even care or pay attention. Sometimes I think the hospital is the very last place a sick person should go! But alas, we have to go there for tests.
So glad you didn't go into shock and glad that is over with now. Still praying for you and awaiting your results.


No comments: