Monday, April 9, 2007

3 Picture Photo Frame

Tonight I decided to make a 3 picture photo frame from the scraps I had left over from the "My Grandmother's Garden" quilt. I wanted to have some pictures at work of her and what pictures better than of when I gave her the quilt surrounded by fabric from the quilt. I sewed my scraps together until I had lengths long enough for the sides, top and dividers.

  • The background fabric for the photos I cut at 4-3/4" x 6-3/4".
  • The corners are 1-1/2" squares folded on the diagonal.
  • The "dividers" were cut at 2" wide each.
  • The sides and top at 2-3/8" each.
  • The binding I made narrower than normal. I cut it at 2" wide.
  • I quilted the borders and dividers with "Borders on a Roll."

The 4-3/4" X 6-3/4" background fabric for the photos is definitely a keeper. That gives a little extra wiggle room without having to shave anything off of a 4x6 photo. While it appears you'll have a full 1/4" of wiggle room keep in mind that the photo corners do take up a bit of space.

I would have cut the strips for the sides, top & bottom at 2-1/2" but I was working with the width of the scraps that I had on hand. Cutting the strip in half yielded 2-3/8". The "dividers" were originally going to be cut at 1-1/2" but the quilting design I wanted to use wasn't going to fit so that size got bumped up a bit. I do like the width of the dividers so I think I would keep it at the 2" cut width for future frames.

I'm pretty happy how it turned out. I think this would make a great gift idea for birthday presents.

Here is is with and without pictures:

Comments:
Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by orchidlover
What a great idea Jen.
I've got a pattern for a wallhanging that you can display photos in. It's from Fon's & Porter? A friend sent it from canada. It's been moved up from my to do list onto my must do list as Gemma is starting to nag for it

love and hugs xxx


Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by 51050
What a clever idea! I can copy ideas, but I usually don't come up with them, so I admire people who do. Rhoda


Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - What a great idea!
Posted by ninepatchrose
Thanks so much for sharing your idea with us. This is a real keeper. There are almost always scraps left over from a project and what a wonderful addition to a gift quilt. Think how cute this would be in a baby's room to match the baby quilt, or any quilt! You are just full of great ideas.


Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by CountryQuilter
That is just too cute!!! Those would make great gifts to give to a quilter. May have to try this project. Thanks for sharing.


Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by Vesuviusmama
What a wonderful idea! I made a picture cube in much the same way which we have in my office. There is a photo of everyone in the office (except me, of course) and whenever there is an onerous task, we roll the cube and see whose photo ends up on top. I hadn't thought of making something as a wall hanging. I'd love that for my personal office, and I could switch out photos of my kids regularly. Thanks for sharing!


Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by Vera
What a great idea, I may have to try to make one.. Thanks for sharing.

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - Great idea!

Posted by mamanance
And one that several of us may be copying! And thanks for the link to Borders on a Roll - I've not heard of it before. That may be a good way to get into machine quilting.

1 comment:

Hazel said...

Love your photo frame ,what a great idea for a Christmas gift .Today is your special day ,Happy Birthday ,have a great day sewing with you mom ,the pie sounds yummy .Best wishes for the coming year .