Saturday, April 21, 2007

My Back Pains =(


My back has been bothering me now for about a month. I really didn't realize that it's been that long until I looked at the calendar to try and figure out when I made my 4/4 appointment for a massage. It hurt before then, and never got better after the massage. Specifically 2 inches below my right shoulder blade and 4 inches to the right of my spine. I assumed it was due to a pulled muscle or just the tightness that I always seem to get in my back. I actually take muscle relaxers because I get migraines and they've been helping keep my migraines away. Within the last week the pain has become pretty unbearable and any bit of stretching I've done hasn't helped. My back bothers me most when I am sitting, if I'm walking around or laying down its bothersome, but the pain is only about a 4 where as sitting it's an 8-10. I went to my doctor yesterday.

I have a lump, mass, tumor, growth...pick your term, pressing on my spinal cord. On Monday I go for an MRI of my Spinal Cord and thorastic region. She said it could be anything from something pinching to create this mass which is pressing against the spinal cord or on the severe end it could be MS. You know how they check your reflexes with that little mallet in different places? My left side of the body reacts normally; my right side does really odd things. I don't know if I can explain it but when they hit you with the mallet you just sort of react, but if my left side does a single jerk motion like you normally would, my right side sort of jerks but stutters a few times. Also when she did the tests where you stand on one foot, arms out, etc. my left side is solid; my right side really has no balance. Same with walking a straight line heel to toe. Every time my right foot was the one my weight was on I bobbled. What ever this is, explains why I have relief when I'm standing versus sitting. The amount of vicodan that she prescribed me sort of freaked me out as well regarding the seriousness of whatever this is. She prescribed 1-2, 5mg tablets every 4 hours. Holy crap, that's a lot of vicodan...at least in my world it is and that explains why Advil and Tylenol was doing nothing for me.

I don't know how quickly I'll get the results, but in the meantime I'm beyond freaked out. When I was getting ready to go shopping with my mom this morning I really realized the balance thing. Every morning when I dry my foot off before getting out of the shower, I tend to lose my balance and catch myself on the wall. I've noticed that my right foot shifts my weight out to the outer edge instead of the whole foot. This explains why I can be standing still and all of a sudden loose balance and bobble a bit.

So, think of me on Monday while I'm in the MRI tube.

COMMENTS:
Saturday, April 21, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by completeshandemonium
Hi Jen -

I'm sorry about all you're going through. I will be keeping good thoughts for you and sending up some prayers for you as well. Don't blame you a bit for being a little freaked out. Hopefully you will have simple answers and good news.
Hugs - margaret


Saturday, April 21, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by 51050
Hi Jen, I'm so sorry that you are going through this hard time. I will be praying for you that it can be easily removed and isn't malegnant. Rhod


Saturday, April 21, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by scissorhandscps
Oh, for crying out loud! That's just terrible news. I'm keeping nothing but a positve attitude for you! I have back problems due to pet grooming and the pain region you describe is in the same place for me. I believe due to repetitive motion of brushing out dogs. I have gone in for the pain and the doctor said it was stress. He gave me a script ( Don't remeber what) but I said no way! And after all the stuff with the building of the new house and dealing with the lawyers was over I started to feel better and have hardly any more pain. I do sometimes have that off balance thing too sometimes and it causes me to lift an eyebrow. So, God willing, hopefully yours is just a stress issue. You will definately be in my prayers.
Cindy


Saturday, April 21, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by CountryQuilter
Oh Jen, that is terrible. I'm sure you are so upset. Hopefully, it will be something simple and easy to fix. I know it is hard but try not to worry so. Just take it easy on yourself. I hope everything goes okay. Love and prayers...


Sunday, April 22, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by Anonymous
Jen sure will be thinking about you and keeping you in my prayers.. Oleqwilter


Sunday, April 22, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by orchidlover
Don't panic Jen. I also get a pain in exactly the same place. I also have a terrible balance problem. My doc tells me it's a pinched nerve. it becomes worse when i'm dragging a quilt through the machine or if I spend too much time on the lap top.
My yoga teacher told me that everybody has a side they can balance on and a side that has no chance, that's just the way we're made.
I'm glad things are happening quickly, that way your mind can be put at rest quickly.
My thoughts are with you
love and hugs Gina xxx


Sunday, April 22, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by Vera
I hope it all goes well for you. Take care.


Sunday, April 22, 2007 - You'll be in my thoughts tomorrow
Posted by mamanance
Jen, I just got back in town a few hours ago and am just now catching up on my blogs, email, etc. I am so sorry to hear about your back problems, but am glad that you are going to be able to get it checked out some more tomorrow. Here's hoping it is not as serious as the dr made it sound. Try to stay calm and positive about it. And be sure to let us know how it goes.

Monday, April 23, 2007 - Jen
Posted by ninepatchrose
It's Monday morning and I'm just reading this. You are in my thoughts and prayers. I am so sorry that you have received this bad news, but we are all pulling for you and and I am praying. Let us know as soon as you know anything.
with love and prayers,
Rose Mary

No comments: