Thursday, May 24, 2007

Back Update


I just thought I should throw in an update on my back. Slowly but surely it is feeling better. Not great, but better. Still tight, but the pain is not what it was a few weeks ago. I can't believe I've been at this now for two months. I had a major breakthrough this week. I discovered the cause of my pain…my office chair at work. It wobbles slightly from side to side. My therapist mentioned last week that my pelvis was uneven and she told me to pay close attention to how I sit. Turns out, my left cheek sits lower than my right. This causes my right side to compress together which is how those muscles were getting caught up in the rib cage, they had no where else to go. I've been sitting with a ½" thick catalog under my right cheek to use as a shim and even me out. It's not great, but it's a solution. I mentioned this to my therapist on Tuesday because I was beginning to think I was insane. She thought it made sense and told me to keep sitting on the catalog so she could discern if there was a difference. By Thursday, there was. The muscles are loosening but now I'm tender in all of the pressure points on the left side of my pelvis. She thinks this all makes sense because now the pelvis has to be able to drop back to normal. My co-worker Diane is on vacation so she told me to use her chair for the next week. We'll see if that helps.

We are getting new chairs at work, but probably not for another two months or so. I doubt they would get me mine early so I'll just continue to sit on my catalog. I'm not even going to ask them about it. I had to jump through so many hoops to get my ergonomic keyboard back when we got new computers that it's not even worth it. All I managed to do was create a lot of waves with management which I never intended to. I have carpal tunnel in both wrists; I have had it for many years. I've been able to manage it as long as I have by wearing my braces to bed when I have a flare up and by using the ergo style keyboard. I had to go to the doctor just to have my wrists tested and I needed to come back with a note from my doctor saying that the ergo keyboard really would help me out. I don't even have a follow up appointment scheduled with my doctor yet, by the time I'd get one and get in with my luck I'd already have my new chair. It's pointless but at the same time highly frustrating.

COMMENTS:
Friday, May 25, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by CountryQuilter
It is amazing that something like your chair can mess you up like that. I sure hope you get is straightened out. I know when I used to work at Austin Apparel. We made jeans for Levis and Arizona (JCP) I was starting to develop carpal tunnel. Luckily I got to change jobs before it got any worse.
Kristie


Friday, May 25, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by 51050
I'm so glad you found the cause of the backache! That's a huge part of it. I hope the new chair works - when you get it. Rhoda


Saturday, May 26, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by orchidlover
I'm glad you are getting your back sorted out, even if it is slowly.

love and hugs gina xxx




No comments: