Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Bargello Borders

This quilt is driving me nuts!! Somewhere along the line I got it in my head that the borders need to be mitered. But that's making me put off putting the borders on the quilt. Can I just put them on normally?

Somewhere along the line I also got it into my head that I had to have a decorative border. So stippling in the middle, then a narrow border (what the heck am I supposed to do with that?) and then leaves in the outer border. Can't I just do an all over stipple across the entire quilt including borders?

Please help before I drive myself insane.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

If it were mine, I would do an all over stipple...from the left side all the way to the right! But, I'm lazy......so .........and no, why do you need a mitered border?

Moneik said...

Sometimes a mitered border really makes the quilt. Is it a print that will look funky without miters/ Use totally stable and relax. I would stipple all over, but hey i don't stipple, so don't take my advice either.

Bethany said...

I did regular borders on my bargello. The pattern is striking enough that simple is the way to go.

I was thinking of quilting peaks and valleys on mine. Maybe some soft waves?

Cindy (aka Peony the House Elf) said...

Go with regular borders and be done with it. I'd also do an over all stipple maybe a little larger than you normally do.

Maureen said...

Okay so regular borders seems to be the answer ... no one says you have to have mitered borders.

Okay now regarding stippling..I think that would look fine but my question is what do you really want...you have been talking about leaves on the border for quite awhile but yet the stippling would really look nice and you won't spend soooo much time on it. I am still working on one that I am doing deer in the border so it depends on when you want to get it done.

Hope that helps.
Maureen

Nancy said...

I just learned how to make a mitered border, for my Van Gogh quilt, and sewed the 2 borders together before doing the miter, but you certainly don't have to. I haven't seen your border fabric I don't think so don't know what it looks like. I haven't started my bargello yet, but had thought about doing lines that follow the waves.

By the time you read this you will probably have already done something on it!